Report: New Xbox Will Require Constant Web Connection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Again, wishful thinking. If they can't justify spending $400 for a console to play games, they aren't going to spend $600 for a PC to play games. Even though a PC could handle other functions, the proliferation of internet enabled devices from smartphones, smart TVs, tablets, etc., make a PC unnecessary for casual use like Netflix and web browsing. Modern consoles, especially an MS branded one, are built to handle streaming services and internet browsing.[/citation]

If you are only getting a computer for casual use like basic internet usage and Netflix, get a $150 Chromebook.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]What happens when your games are tied to Steam and you get banned? Gone. One of the Sony rumors actually had the possibility of a password based game system where you could log to the game at a friend's house. A PC can break just as easily as an XBox. The very concept of always online and DRM measures are tactics that the PC sector employed LONG beforehand and still employ, so I don't see anyone running to the PC to escape from it. If anything they'll run to the Wii U, which isn't barring used games or -forcing- always online connections. Nintendo caters primarily to their Japanese market, and the Japanese market isn't as supportive of these capitalist money grabs. They also dont like online purchasing, so forcing a license based situation would never happen on a Nintendo system.[/citation]

Last I checked, no one ever likes online-only DRM, not just the Japanese market. The difference is in Japan they seem to be louder about the issue, or maybe companies in Japan actually listen to their consumers. In America, it is always about the money, and customer satisfaction isn't even a close second.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]D3 sold over 10 million copies, worked pretty well the last I checked. EA and Activision consider gamers to be complete tools that will give them money so long as they use established franchises like WoW, Diablo, CoD, Warcraft, etc. So far gamers are proving them right. Get it through your heads and realize that you cannot buy games from companies like this. You can't even pirate them because they consider pirated copies to be "lost sales". I'd like to play the new SimCity, but I'm not going to give EA a single dime. I can play something else from a company with morals I support, like PoE.[/citation]

Sure, D3 broke sales records on its opening weekend. So? The only reason people got that was because of brand loyalty. D2 was an amazing game, and people wanted more. But D3 has revealed itself to be nothing more than a money-grabbing shadow of its former self. How many people who got the game are still playing it now? How many people would by a D3 expansion, or even D4? Activision Blizzard lost a lot of fans with their move, so congrats on them for making a killing in the short term, because in the long term they signed a death sentence for that franchise and earned a black mark on the entire company.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think considering the build quality of most modern games, an always on internet connection for a modern console is a good idea. It will allow developers to actually patch for everyone. It also gets around some problems posed with a console that is offline. It may also usher in the convinience PC gamers have had for nearly a decade now with Steam. I rarely buy a physical copy of a game since Steam, and everytime I do I mull over the fact that it is less convinient to get a physical copy.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
Sure, D3 broke sales records on its opening weekend. So? The only reason people got that was because of brand loyalty. D2 was an amazing game, and people wanted more. But D3 has revealed itself to be nothing more than a money-grabbing shadow of its former self. How many people who got the game are still playing it now? How many people would by a D3 expansion, or even D4? Activision Blizzard lost a lot of fans with their move, so congrats on them for making a killing in the short term, because in the long term they signed a death sentence for that franchise and earned a black mark on the entire company.

Torchlight 2 baby, I have not considered buying D3 even once.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
My friends family cannot afford cable or internet right now (used to have it), however his little brothers still have an xbox they play games on. I don't think this is a good idea, there should always be an offline mode.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I would be surprised, only if it DIDN'T require us to have a constant internet connection to function. It is clear this is the agenda of big business to steer our new generations to always be online, soon to be when one is born too. It's just a matter of time.

[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]I'm very excited about the 8-core CPU bit. I guess there'll be a reason for PC gamers to get a 10-core Ivy Bridge Extreme after all.[/citation]

There is pretty much no chance of a ten core Ivy EE CPU. Chances of even an eight core model are slim.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
MS new Crapbox will not allow used games sales either, Quote from another article right here on Toms about the new PS4, "Cross your fingers that Sony doesn't jump on the anti-used-games bandwagon with Microsoft, "

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Since I can't guarantee a constant internet connection i can't buy an xbox 720 then. Oops.

I wonder if they'll treat THAT as a "lost sale" along with all those pirated ones...

Rosco2382

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I actually like Xbox and PS3, so unfortunately I will be one of those fan boys buying both systems again. thought this time I might wait for the 2nd gen to come out.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Abion47[/nom]If you are only getting a computer for casual use like basic internet usage and Netflix, get a $150 Chromebook.[/citation]Better yet, get a tablet.

G

always online is crap there are many who doesn't have internet connection and even if you have its very slow half the time, and i don't use internet for my consoles I'm reserving it for my online games or internet. I always play, browse, download at the same time while watching my brother or cousin using my consoles or pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.