Report: Next Nexus 7 Tablet to Favor Qualcomm Over Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
If true, then good news!
Let's face it, tegra 3 was nothing but overhyped weak SoC. even at the time it was released.
Extra A9 cores that made zero difference in real world performance.
Battery saving 5th core used as marketing material but barely saves any juice. Some custom kernel devs disable the fifth core.
weak GPU and completely bottlenecked by slow single-channel memory.
And, of course, the dick move of paying off devs for exclusive games and effects for this weak chip to support their "console quality gaming" bullshit marketing.

After tegra 3, I don't believe anything nvidia has to say. They can keep tegra 4. not interested one bit.

While it's not news to read about the Nexus 7's successor using Snapdragon instead of Tegra (we've been reading about that for a while now), I thought that Tegra 4 does have the integrated modem.

[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]Negra 4i? Oo[/citation]

That's one helluva typo in the paragraph below the picture. I hope that Tom's fixes it quickly.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]If true, then good news!Let's face it, tegra 3 was nothing but overhyped weak SoC. even at the time it was released.Extra A9 cores that made zero difference in real world performance. Battery saving 5th core used as marketing material but barely saves any juice. Some custom kernel devs disable the fifth core.weak GPU and completely bottlenecked by slow single-channel memory.And, of course, the dick move of paying off devs for exclusive games and effects for this weak chip to support their "console quality gaming" bullshit marketing.After tegra 3, I don't believe anything nvidia has to say. They can keep tegra 4. not interested one bit.[/citation]
We can always count on darkchazz in a Tegra article.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Does Nvidia try to make aspects of games exclusive to Tegra chips like they try to make the physics of games exclusive to Nvidia chips by encouraging developers to use a physics program module that happens to work only on their Nvidia chips?

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Does Nvidia try to make aspects of games exclusive to Tegra chips like they try to make the physics of games exclusive to Nvidia chips by encouraging developers to use a physics program module that happens to work only on their Nvidia chips?[/citation]
yes

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]If true, then good news!Let's face it, tegra 3 was nothing but overhyped weak SoC. even at the time it was released.Extra A9 cores that made zero difference in real world performance. Battery saving 5th core used as marketing material but barely saves any juice. Some custom kernel devs disable the fifth core.weak GPU and completely bottlenecked by slow single-channel memory.And, of course, the dick move of paying off devs for exclusive games and effects for this weak chip to support their "console quality gaming" bullshit marketing.After tegra 3, I don't believe anything nvidia has to say. They can keep tegra 4. not interested one bit.[/citation]
It probably has more to do with the fact that Tegra4 is not going to be available for quite some time still (IIRC, August was the earliest slated time for product launches using it--that's a long time...).

Tegra4 has proven to be very promising in benchmarks; faster than almost every other mobile processor out now. I'm a fan of Qualcomm's mobile processors (and I agree, Tegra1-Tegra3 have been overhyped beyond belief), but I still think T4 can give a run for money--if it comes to market fast enough. Nvidia is playing it pretty slow this time...

I've read that it'll be Snapdragon 600, but I make no guarantee that it will hold true. It might be 800.

I agree with you. Tegra 4 looks much better than the previous Tegra SoCs from what I've read about it and its lateness is probably the deciding factor here.

Well, no, but AMD doesn't yet have a competitor for Tegra anyway, so the two are not really comparable for this. If you want to talk about desktop/laptop/etc. graphics where AMD is in, then neither AMD nor Nvidia pull such tricks totally because all games are supported by both companies. Nvidia does still get with some of the developers to optimize for their platform (which usually doesn't really go well anyway, look at the mess that is Borderlands 2 and the Batman series for proof and how AMD has lately caught up in most of the Nvidia-optimized games anyway through driver updates), but that's not the same as making games exclusive to their hardware.

However, it's difficult to blatantly ridicule Nvidia over it since looking at the performance of these SoCs, they really do need all the optimization that they can get to have ideal performance and feature support.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would be much more impressed if they said this was coming with an SD slot.

It's pretty sad that every feature phone that was thrown at customers for free for years had an SD slot, yet so many good tablets don't have this.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Well, no, but AMD doesn't yet have a competitor for Tegra anyway, so the two are not really comparable for this. If you want to talk about desktop/laptop/etc. graphics where AMD is in, then neither AMD nor Nvidia pull such tricks totally because all games are supported by both companies. Nvidia does still get with some of the developers to optimize for their platform (which usually doesn't really go well anyway, look at the mess that is Borderlands 2 and the Batman series for proof and how AMD has lately caught up in most of the Nvidia-optimized games anyway through driver updates), but that's not the same as making games exclusive to their hardware.However, it's difficult to blatantly ridicule Nvidia over it since looking at the performance of these SoCs, they really do need all the optimization that they can get to have ideal performance and feature support.[/citation]

depending on the game. some games offer both tegra version and non tegra version but what most user don't like was the 'pretty' version only available on tegra based device while processor like Snapdragon S4 Pro should be able to handle those pretty grahic just as fine if not better than tegra processor. but then again only nvidia that really serious about working with game developer to optimize their game with tegra processor. qualcomm have their own initiative (like Game Command that suppose to take Tegra Zone head to head) but it seems it was not as aggressive as nvidia effort.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
There seems to be a false idea that only Qualcomm chips are LTE capable, there are phones that aren't powered by Qualcomm's SoC but are able to use Qualcomm's LTE radio to achieve the same result. I'm not sure why Google couldn't couple the new Icera radio or the Qualcomm LTE radio with the next Nexus tablet and use Tegra 4 for the next tablet...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]There seems to be a false idea that only Qualcomm chips are LTE capable, there are phones that aren't powered by Qualcomm's SoC but are able to use Qualcomm's LTE radio to achieve the same result. I'm not sure why Google couldn't couple the new Icera radio or the Qualcomm LTE radio with the next Nexus tablet and use Tegra 4 for the next tablet...[/citation]
Mainly because T4 is taking a long time to become available. If rumors are true and the Nexus 7 2 is slated for a May release, that doesn't give a lot of time between the T4 availability to manufacturers (Q2 2013) and the Nexus 7 2 release date (as is, it's only a couple months out for the rumored N7-2 release, but T4 isn't likely to be available until after that).

And also because it seems like Google tries to get as-wide of a component test out of products it wants to use (rarely using the same manufacturer for nexus refreshes, not using the same hardware components, etc.).

i also believe it could be the case why the next nexus 7 will not using T4. heard that T4 will be much smaller die size wise compared to competing Qualcomm chip so cost wise nvidia might not lose to Qualcomm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS