Report: Nvidia Titan to Launch Feb. 18, New Specs Rumored

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I's guessing this was a *K20* design meant to go head-to-head with the AMD FirePro W8000, and for whatever reason some of the advanced chip logic just didn't *take* and had to be shut-off.

The Tesla K20X - 2688 CUDA cores, 6GB GDDR5, 1.31 TFLOPS DP, and 4 TFLOPS single-precision.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
nividia has hit all new highs of price gougings with the 600 series , 1000 dollars for a vid card?? sure this think will sell like houses built Grass sell. seriously even most of intel's cpu's fall well under this price.

A gimped Tesla K20X for $1,000.00 is like a *Deal of the Century*

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You can't make accurate comparisons between architectures by the FLOPs ratings. The 5870 is significantly inferior to the 7950 in gaming performance and is a minuscule fraction of the 7950 when it comes to compute performance in almost all compute workloads.FLOPS without context is a useless number. For example, there's a huge difference between single-precision FLOPS and dual-precision FLOPS (on AMD's 7950, its DP is one fourth of its SP, yet the 680's DP is one twenty-fourth of its SP and the 5870's DP is at best one fifth of its SP). The VLIW5-based cards such as the 5870 were also infamous for very few compute workloads being able to run well on them. Having lots of nigh unreachable theoretical performance is usually less important than a good amount of practical performance .[/citation]
Your trying to be too exact. Or I should have said single precision flops as a rough guide. 2nd is to confirm the flop score on a GPU comparison chart(such as Tom's Hierarchy) and then fps scores on the games you intend to play. Anyway, a 5870 scores too high to be called "significantly inferior", but it is weaker than a 7950.

Of course there are other factors that may be important. Such as DirectX 11.1 or the age of the card/overheating issues.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Tests are under NDA (therefor not yet publicly confirmed) = tests don't matter for us because they're not confirmed and thus not yet proven.[/citation]

Well I saw the results, I am not under NDA but I respect those in goodfaith whom I obtained them from. They were also live so in terms of knowing what it can do, is well.... known.

[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Wow I really want one and 60% faster than the 680. But dont want to pay more than a grand, just way too much for a card that will be outdated in less than a year. Even on the fence about $899 price range. But will see when the reviews hit if its going to be worth it. Disappointed the 700 series isnt launching until Fall now the last I heard.[/citation]

I doubt this thing will be outdated in a year.

"...suggests pricing between $899 and $1599." :sarcastic:

Ummm...
I'll stick with my 2GB HD 7850 OC (paid $165) :love:

Speaking of price, do the people that buy this card honestly think it's 10 times better (because it cost 10 times as much) than a 7850? LOL

I know the reality is that the people that do buy it are rich elitest computer geeks. For the rest of us we try to get the best bang for the buck. When I bought mine it was the 2GB HD 7850 that was the best price/proformance, it was just a bonus that the cheapest one was a factory OC version.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I'm excited to see it release and see real test results. Especially with more memory which is what I might upgrade for. Right now my 690 kills, but I've hit a few situations where the 2G per GPU can be an issue. Even though it might be faster overall, I might still upgrade (side-grade) to a single K110 depending on the results. But at the claimed 65-70% performance of a 690 alone, imagine 2 in SLI... /drool. Only time will tell. I suspect Toms already has the testing done just waiting for the release date to post it online. I look forward to Monday.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]they should price it at $300 and just put AMD to rest. lmao.[/citation]

And lose a lot of money. It is not a GTX780 despite its branding, the official GTX780 is going to be around 25% slower and 40% faster than the GTX680. You also realize that AMD have new generation cards out to so I don't know why you getting so frisky about team green.

That's the gazillion dollar question.

Certain effects (primarily color correction) and rendering (check yer formats) will fly even without Quadro drivers. No way to tell on OpenCL/GL right now. And no way of knowing how 6.5 will perform (due this Spring) unless nVidia has a little trickeration up their sleeves with early code from Adobe.

7+ billion transistors should work just dandy, though.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
For those who wanna take a look for rumors closer to the truth, google for GK114. The newer the post,the better.

A GK110 for $2,000 is still a good deal.For $1,000 it will disappear from the market in a flash.

or, Tesla K20X

(which seem to match the specs -at least, for this article and others I've seen)

Status
Not open for further replies.