Report: Nvidia Working on a Faster GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

PallindroneT3604

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
The EVGA Super-super-clocked already jets from the factory @ 1030+mhz/sec clock, so maybe it's either to : A)make it more power compliant like the GTX650-E off the PCIx16 rails power, or B)3GBS of GDDR5....either is great news to the average budgeteer!

....or not.

lhughey

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
[citation][nom]spat55[/nom]looks like a cute little thing! Not often I say that[/citation]

You don't say it often, cause you hear it all the time! :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, this is another example of how competition is great. I just wish they would do this for the 660ti.

Increasing the GPU frequency of the GTX 650 Ti a little will not change its performance by much at all. It's too extremely memory bandwidth bottle-necked. It'd be faster if they brought the GPU down to 576 cores at the same frequency and bumped up the memory interface to 192 bit at the same frequency. The GTX 660 and GTX 650 give very conclusive evidence for this.

[citation][nom]lhughey[/nom]You don't say it often, cause you hear it all the time! Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, this is another example of how competition is great. I just wish they would do this for the 660ti.[/citation]

The same is true for the 660 Ti. It's GPU is so memory bandwidth bottle-necked that increasing its frequency a little own't make much difference whereas increasing memory performance does make a difference (the GTX 670 and 680 prove this quite excellently).

If Nvidia wanted a decent improvement in either card without changing the hardware, then the best option would be to make a new reference specification with better memory for the 650 Ti (and also the 660 Ti if they wanted a higher performing version of it). Unfortunately, except for the unlikely scenario where Nvidia would also require better memory binning as well, I find it unlikely that this would help the overclocking community in getting more card options in this price range.

A higher GPU frequency wouldn't hurt, I'm just saying that it won't make much difference on its own, at least not unless it's a very big change.

Not even 660ti has 256bit memory bus, so I wouldn't expect it from 650ti. A 192bit though would be nice but Nvidia said that they will not change any physical part :/.

Good to see some signs of life from Nvidia in the budget space. I feel like they're being ripped a new one by the HD 7770 and HD 7850 1GB.

Though I desperately wanted this article to read: Report: Nvidia Working on a Cheaper GeForce GTX 660

EDIT - well lookee here, a cut-down GTX 660 for $150-170, and a price drop on the regular GTX 660!

flyflinger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I have the MSI version clocked at 993 MHz. Unlike some factory overclocked cards I've had in the past, this one has been dead reliable and quiet. I'm sure with a bit of heat sink improvement, the 650 Ti's have enough headroom for nice performance increase.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
650 Ti GHz Edition? Most 650 Tis can OC to 1GHz anyway. The GDDR5 chips that come with them can (and should) be manually OC'd as well. The real news is that AMD's competing in the ~$150 space.

Even at stock clocks, a 650 Ti with a 192 bit bus could easily compete with the 7790 and 7850 if priced similarly. It wouldn't be too much slower than the 660 at that point.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I really hope the bump isnt that huge, I literally just purchased one today :( newegg has a galaxy model on sale for 110$. Its got a 966mhz clock though, maybe it will OC to match what nvidia has updated it to. Otherwise I'll be sad.

I slammed these when they came out for being cripples. A 128bit buss is an artificial limitation. That said, I got an eVGA superclocked GTX650Ti a month or so ago to test for myself, and it has been performing remarkably well in my relatively undemanding games. It is also quieter than I thought it would be, and doesn't generate anywhere near as much heat as the HD7870 that I normally use. It has restored my perspective that $150 will buy a reasonable graphics card.

He/she was probably saying that with SLI as an option, buying a second one as an upgrade later would be feasible, so he/she would be one of them soon, not two, but get the second later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.