Report: PC Graphics Shipments Down in Fourth Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbaddie

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Agree, the prices for some of the high end cards are up there.. Especially when my 470 gtx runs all the games I play at 60 FPS on 1440p... (Guild Wars 2) It's just not worth upgrading for the price

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Of course shipments were down, people know that AMD and NVidia typically release their new cards in March/April and the rumors (now known to be true) about AMD not releasing a significant new card and rumors flying about Titan (being considerably more powerful than GTX 690 which has been proven false now) is what kept people from buying.

G

And the fact that AMDs APUs are becoming increasingly popular and aren't counted towards this

This shouldn't shock anyone people were feeling that we would get a new series of cards around the 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year. And if that continues to not be the case I would expect the sales to be stagnant for a while.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
discrete gpu = gamer/enthusiast only. Both know better than to buy a new card at the end of the product cycle. The only exception is new builds, but even then if its a team green player, I recommend they buy an el-chepo card to start with and use if to physix.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
people waiting for the next refreshes or just holding back because this generation gpu is a bit pricey (i am looking at nvidia the most).

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um popular where?..lol APUs are garbage...it's a made up market by AMD because they lost to intel.[/citation]
Gamers represent only about 5% of the overall PC/laptop market.

Most of the remaining 95% who aren't CAD or animation/video professionals can make-do with IGPs. I expect the percentage of PCs and laptops shipping without discrete GPU to continue increasing sharply with each new IGP generation.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um popular where?..lol APUs are garbage...it's a made up market by AMD because they lost to intel.[/citation]

AMD cards have superior compute performance. An old @ss AMD card can bend over Kepler in nearly all cases except gaming. (I use Nvidia, not bashing anyone, just stating the facts ma'am)

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Now that the bulk of PC games are console ports, it's hard to justify spending so much money on a graphics card for most gamers. When the next generation of consoles is released, us PC gamers will once again need expensive graphics cards just to keep up with a new generation of bad console ports.

It's sad now how the console world now dictates the future of PC gaming. It was always the other way around for so long.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]cutebeans[/nom]PC gaming = FINISHED.PS4 is here now![/citation]

Hardly, especially considering the PS 4 and, likely, the new XBox will be using off the shelf computer parts, this means it's more likely that PCs will be here for quite some time as the games for the consoles will likely be easily ported to PC and vice versa because of the use of similar parts (the PS 3 and the XBox 360 did not use off the shelf parts and they were painful to develop for initially, especially PS 3).

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Hardly, especially considering the PS 4 and, likely, the new XBox will be using off the shelf computer parts[/citation]
The PS4 will be using a custom APU based on a modified mobile CPU and HD7850-class IGP... that does not quite sound like an off-the-shelf part to me unless AMD plans to make a quad-channel DDR3/DDR4 version of it for desktops/laptops.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]AMD cards have superior compute performance.[/citation]

Quite a few of their cards also have quite a bit higher power consumption in contrast to Nvidia.

[citation][nom]jigawatt[/nom]Quite a few of their cards also have quite a bit higher power consumption in contrast to Nvidia.[/citation]

Not really. Other than 7870 XT, a horribly binned card, and 7970 GHz Edition, a card literally up-clocked and up-voltage'd just to get one of the fastest card titles, AMD and Nvidia are on similar grounds for power consumption. The 7970 only uses about 5-15% more power than the GTX 680 (which is probably attributable to its memory advantage), the 7950 and the 670/660 Ti are even closer, and the rest are also on similar footing in this.

[citation][nom]cRACKmONKEY421[/nom]Now that the bulk of PC games are console ports, it's hard to justify spending so much money on a graphics card for most gamers. When the next generation of consoles is released, us PC gamers will once again need expensive graphics cards just to keep up with a new generation of bad console ports.It's sad now how the console world now dictates the future of PC gaming. It was always the other way around for so long.[/citation]

With such similar hardware, I think that it'll be more good console ports than bad console ports, at least if you're using AMD GPUs. The increased focus on integer core count for the consoles may also help PCs significantly too.

G

More like the games are designed on a PC and then ported to consoles. PC gaming will always be the cutting edge. That's why consoles have off the shelf PC components in them.

[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]AMD cards have superior compute performance. An old @ss AMD card can bend over Kepler in nearly all cases except gaming. (I use Nvidia, not bashing anyone, just stating the facts ma'am)[/citation]

Only GCN cards from AMD have good compute performance. The rest of AMD's cards have crap compute performance in almost all compute workloads whereas old Nvidia cards have decent compute performance in most compute workloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.