Report: PC Shipments Will Drop 1.3% in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]The problem is for most people their 6 year old core 2 duo still browses the internet fine. Most people have no reason to upgrade.[/citation]

This, but also the fact that a lot of people do not do work that requires the processing power of a good PC. For most people, a laptop that is similarly priced to a PC looks more attractive since its mobile and can be taken on the go.

G

The problem is people like mobility too much, there's no benefits in having a desktop if people:

Play games on consoles,

Do their work on laptops due to the portability it offers.

If you want to sell more PC's, find smart ways to make smooth transitions between the two where the PC genuinely offers benefits, or find a way to sell PC's to people in a way that they need to put in as little effort as possible. The consumer is lazy, and all the other solutions are the best options for them. Turbo dock by AMD seems to be the way to go about it, offer people improved performance through 'docking' to a proper desktop.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I could buy a new pc or I could just buy a new tablet, it does most of what I want where ever I am in the house, I still keep the old pc for some old software but eventually there will be better tablets that I will end up dumping my old pc.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Honestly I believe that the slump in PC sales has more to do with the economy and the fact persons dont have the cash to be spending on new PC and if they do its minimal. As a system builder orders have been down for about a year, persons who would at the drop of a hat buy a new laptop or PC are now thinking about it. Its not that persons dont want PC's (especially the teenagers I interact with on a regular basis , show them a Windows 8 PC and they go crazy) but the money just isnt there.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The last PC that I bought was close to 20 years ago.
(have been building my own PC's ever since)

I did bought my ONLY Notebook close to 3 years ago, and I see no reason to buy another Notebook
any time soon. I just needed something on the go while still resembling an actual PC.
(mission accomplished)

I built a NEW PC every 5 years or so, while in between "keep it up" with some upgrades in between.
Id it wasn't because I like to "keep up", probably I wouldn't "need" to build a new PC that often at all.

Even when I do like to play games.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
PCs will be replaced by tablets connected wirelessly or wired to server racks in our homes. This will happen especially when people can play their Steam library on tablets.

Besides tablets the other reason for PC slowdown is bad economy and also because the next generation of consoles has not been released. Game developers prefer to make games so they work on all major platforms so they don't have to design multiple different versions of their games because that's easier and cheaper. This means the hardware requirements for PC games is very low because they are also very low for consoles now since the consoles are now so old. So no need really for PC gamers to upgrade their hardware. Game makers can't be bothered to make a special higher tech version of games for PC because they can't make much money there because of piracy being so much easier to do on PC making games sell several times more on consoles than PC.

g-unit1111

Titan
Let's define PC shipments here. Are we talking crappy pre built systems here - you know the Dells, Gateways, Alienwares, eMachines, etc. Or are we talking custom built rigs - PC parts? Because the latter isn't going away any time soon. But the sooner we can get the crappy pre builts off the shelf the better.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]PCs will be replaced by tablets connected wirelessly or wired to server racks in our homes. This will happen especially when people can play their Steam library on tablets.Besides tablets the other reason for PC slowdown is bad economy and also because the next generation of consoles has not been released. Game developers prefer to make games so they work on all major platforms so they don't have to design multiple different versions of their games because that's easier and cheaper. This means the hardware requirements for PC games is very low because they are also very low for consoles now since the consoles are now so old. So no need really for PC gamers to upgrade their hardware. Game makers can't be bothered to make a special higher tech version of games for PC because they can't make much money there because of piracy being so much easier to do on PC making games sell several times more on consoles than PC.[/citation]

I dont really agree with your statement on piracy because steam and origin pretty much eliminate that as an alternative. I dont think i have bought one game that was a physical media disk sense warcraft battle chest .. and to be honest that was just spur of the moment purchase. i have over 100 titles and i have bought them all either on steam or origin or amazon.. so its pretty mute arguement. at least on my end. lol as for pc sales .. i would say its more then likely a combination of lack of innovation and or lack of disposeable funding needed to purchase a computer and or need. especially when the majority still either has pentium 4 or core duo processors people who are educated tend to build there own computers knowing you get a better deal and often time better warranties from manufactures and with tools and reviews from sites like this makes it a much more intelegent purchase desion. so reports like this should be taken with a grain of salt . there are no reliable metrics for the build your own market. unless you go off of sheer parts / componets sold by manufactuers

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
the average consumer only needs average-powered technology (tablets,laptops). The advanced consumer will likely build their own desktop.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]wysir[/nom]the average consumer only needs average-powered technology (tablets,laptops). The advanced consumer will likely build their own desktop.[/citation]Prettymuch, the average user is one step away from tripping over their own slobber and the average user with money will buy a Mac because it makes them feel smarter and superior which is not lost on irony.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]I dont really agree with your statement on piracy because steam and origin pretty much eliminate that as an alternative. I dont think i have bought one game that was a physical media disk sense warcraft battle chest .. and to be honest that was just spur of the moment purchase. i have over 100 titles and i have bought them all either on steam or origin or amazon.. so its pretty mute arguement. at least on my end. lol as for pc sales .. i would say its more then likely a combination of lack of innovation and or lack of disposeable funding needed to purchase a computer and or need. especially when the majority still either has pentium 4 or core duo processors people who are educated tend to build there own computers knowing you get a better deal and often time better warranties from manufactures and with tools and reviews from sites like this makes it a much more intelegent purchase desion. so reports like this should be taken with a grain of salt . there are no reliable metrics for the build your own market. unless you go off of sheer parts / componets sold by manufactuers[/citation]

I believe I was basing my game sales figures on VGChartz but maybe that site excludes Internet download sales and only includes retail sales.

G

my system is around 2 years old it has an AMD x6 1090T cpu, 120gb agility3 ssd main drive with windows 8 pro +1.5tb software drive, dual booted with a 500gb hdd with Linux mint, 16gb ddr3 1333, amd HD6850 .. this system dose every thing I need it to and is more than I really need, so I have no need to upgrade for anything faster or better this system is ample and will be for a long time yet, also I just don't have the money to upgrade if I did have then yea I probs would of even though I don't need to, the problem for me is with the high cost of living in the uk I simply no longer have any money spare for those type of items.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Funny seeing how any comment where someone highlights the benefits of a tablet gets thumbs down.

My wife has a Nexus 7 & I'm very jealous that she can take it pretty much anywhere & browse the web for the entire day without needing to charge it again, some of the games are even half decent, although most are pretty crappy "free" (demo type) games.

I can imagine in the next 10 years current gen desktop hardware could be standard in tablets (well, I hope)

G

Clearly the problem is Modern UI. I know serveral people who WOULD buy Windows 8 if it was not for Modern UI. They don't consider start menu replacements a serious alternative as they feel they don't want to rely on third party software for something as basic as a functioning UI.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
That depend on how much MS will be reasonable admitting W8 is the worst catastrophe ever happened in PC market ever, and release its decent kernel packaged in a really usable OS (no Metro) with a business plan that does not relies solely on hosing customers (no subscriptions, no mandatory ads screen - sorry, Metro, no 1000$ overpriced Surface to do what I'm doing with a 200$ netbook, with a better UI!) and killing yesterdays' partners in software (no Store) and hardware (no Surface).
And, fire Ballmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.