Report: PlayStation 4 Rumored to Use AMD Fusion CPU/GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
This is definitely a good idea. If this thing has x86 compatibility, how long will it be before someone figures out how to load Windows on it?

Anyway, AMD's APU's make sense from a cost and (especially) energy savings perspective. If game developers can optimize their game code for x86 (porting should be easy since most just code in C and C++ anyway) then you should be able to expect a pretty decent game system for cheap.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
So if rumors are true then AMD has scored the GPU in every single next gen console? And even scored the APU/CPU in 2 of the 3?

AMD may not be taking PC performance crowns for CPU but their "balanced" APU strategy looks like it could be paying off in spades :)

vikjha

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]To quote stewie griffin on this article "Where did you graduate from again, the University of DUH?!?!?" Is this actually news to anyone at this point? I mean weve known they were going to include 2 gpus in the thing and they were going to be amd for what 6 months now? Anyone and their grandmother knew what that meant for a console... APU and discrete graphics card so that when you arent playing any games you could use the apu and when you needed the power it would kick over to the real gpu. Why is this news? Next up on Tomshardware... water is wet and the sun is bright.[/citation]

Whatever University you graduated from u still didn't really learn how to read... there are a lot of differences between the two rumors. Initially, it was suppose to be a modified off the shelf AMD APU w/7670 to do asymmetrical CF. This is with a Tahiti GPU and if i'm understanding correctly an APU that isn't out yet. Also... once again i'm not certain i understand this, but this is JUST an APU... not an APU w/an extra graphics card... as in the CPU+Tahiti=PS4 APU. Water is wet, and the sun is bright...

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I feel really bad for Sony, because they have absolutely nothing going for it. Sure you can put in a 7970 in their next console, but by that time PC users would have 8970's or even the 9970's for that 2014 release date. And do you even need a PS4 when you guys already have a PC? All you really need is gonna be a PC and a Wii U and you'll be playing 95% of all exclusives.[/citation]
Gaming hardware doesn't work that way. Systems like Xbox360 used variations of older GPU architecture, yet blew away all gaming PC systems at the time of its launch. We can't use a 2005 PC to play today's games.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]So it went from rumored HD6670 equivalent to now a HD7Kish equivalent.It should be insteresting to see how it plays out and how the rumor changes again in a couple of months.[/citation]
AMD are a little sneaky when it comes to rebranding, however if it's a Kaveri APU, it's definitely going to be GCN. Not sure about Tahiti though, but like I mentioned earlier, AMD can design a custom APU that has a far meatier GPU portion than a standard Kaveri part on the PC desktop... if they wanted to. They did mention modularity with their CPUs a while back, meaning replacing one resource with another to best suit a specific usage model.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
This is a better junp over pc's than the last junp in 2005. Obviously pc will take the lead quickly but what developer is going to risk the costs to create the equivalent to crysis 2007? For me in 2 years when gfx start to look the same i move to a 2k or 4k monitor and build another pc.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Funny seeing folks moaning that "Oh man it wont be as powerful as all us gamers have 7970/680's in our PCs!"

Take a random group of 100 gamers and ask how many have such cards and 5 might put their hands up.

Ask how many have a GTS450/5770/5780/GTX550/6850 in their PC and probably 80 will go up.

I still reckon both Sony and MS will use a highly modified 7770 variant or thereabouts. It only has to push 1080p and with optimised code it should do that fine.

i guess you never existed when sega failed when they tried the upgradability path with the sega genesis. they made the sega CD and 32x add-ons for it and they both didn't last long. also nintendo tried to make a disk drive add-on for the N64 and that didn't even make it out of japan when that failed

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
But if a publisher released an upgrade card for their games all ea or all ubisoft games would look improved if the public wanted the option. Otherwise buy the madden 14 standard vs the elite. It would be justified if activision to made a huge profit off those few who did want the improved framerate.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]holodust[/nom]That is if you care for Nintendo exclusives - if you prefer Sony's you'll really need that PS4[/citation]

Sony doesn't have that many exclusives and the ones that are exclusive are usually also on PC. That's why I put out that 95% figure. If you got lots of money, go ahead and get all 3 consoles and a PC, but if you're on a budget, just getting the Wii U and a PC will allow you to play about 95% of all the games.

ya cause gamers will really like that. pay 60+ bucks for a game thehn realize they have to get an upgrade card in order to actullt play the game on the console which more than likely they will charge an additional 50-100 bucks for it.

but hey the xbox fanbase has taught us that they will pay loads of cash for anything no matter how much they get ripped off in the end

i call BS on that. what PS3 exclusives eneded up on the PC? i know street fighter X tekken did but the tekken series was not exclusive to play station to begin with. no first party games ended up on the PC but years ago most 1st party xbox game exclusives like halo and gears of war ended up being ported to PC

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hjadfiluashedofik[/nom]not future proof enoughto expensivenot fast enoughit will hold back the development of high end games as the PS3 did[/citation]
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Sony doesn't have that many exclusives and the ones that are exclusive are usually also on PC. That's why I put out that 95% figure. If you got lots of money, go ahead and get all 3 consoles and a PC, but if you're on a budget, just getting the Wii U and a PC will allow you to play about 95% of all the games.[/citation]

It is obvious you don't have any idea what games are on the PS3 at the moment, which is quite a shame because some of the best games, across all platforms, over the past 4 years have been PS3 exclusives.

Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance & Killzone, Gran Turismo, inFamous, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, Demon's Soul.

And that is just American oriented titles. if you are a fan of JRPG's then the list gets even bigger.

I have both a PC and PS3, and quite honestly the only games I play on a PC are games that require one. D3, SC2, Terraria etc..

End of the day I like to game in comfort, and prefer to do so in a recliner, inebriated and on a 60" Panny Plasma.

Gaming on a computer when I am not using Vent feels akin to work.

TGT-Gaming

Honorable
May 25, 2012
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I feel really bad for Sony, because they have absolutely nothing going for it. Sure you can put in a 7970 in their next console, but by that time PC users would have 8970's or even the 9970's for that 2014 release date. And do you even need a PS4 when you guys already have a PC? All you really need is gonna be a PC and a Wii U and you'll be playing 95% of all exclusives.[/citation]

Uh... no. There are so many amazing Playstation exclusives where you can't play at anywhere else like Killzone, Starhawk or Uncharted. So yes it is necessary to get a PS4 even if you have a gaming PC.

TGT-Gaming

Honorable
May 25, 2012
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Sony doesn't have that many exclusives and the ones that are exclusive are usually also on PC. That's why I put out that 95% figure. If you got lots of money, go ahead and get all 3 consoles and a PC, but if you're on a budget, just getting the Wii U and a PC will allow you to play about 95% of all the games.[/citation]

Ok dude, name one Playstation exclusive that is on the PC cause I can't think of any. All of the highest rated games in the past 4 years have been on the PS3 and ONLY PS3. There are so many exclusives for PS you have no idea what you're talking about.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Exclusives are going to get less and less. Why? Because the market between Xbox and PS is too even.

Very few developers are going to want to spend a lot of time and effort on a game that is only going to appeal to potentially 40% of the available console gamers. In this day/age and economy that just doesn't make sense.

There will be a few but far less than the PS2 days.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
A Bulldozer-type CPU does fit with the Sony "Unlock" strategy.
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]So it went from rumored HD6670 equivalent to now a HD7Kish equivalent.It should be insteresting to see how it plays out and how the rumor changes again in a couple of months.[/citation]Originally it was the 7670, which would put it under the Wii-U. 1.8 TFlop is around the 7850 though.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i guess you never existed when sega failed when they tried the upgradability path with the sega genesis. they made the sega CD and 32x add-ons for it and they both didn't last long. also nintendo tried to make a disk drive add-on for the N64 and that didn't even make it out of japan when that failed[/citation]
The Sega CD (Mega CD over here) actually sold about 6 million units in the end. Not great, but certainly far better than the mushroom-shaped abortion that was the 32X.

Status
Not open for further replies.