Report: Sony's Got a PlayStation Tab Called S1

Status
Not open for further replies.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hopefully it won't rival the iPads same old boring, uncreative, restricted UI. I mean really does everything have to rival the iPad? Hello! There are a million other tablets that blow the iPad out of the water in terms of hardware, performance, internet usage. Ipad 2? guess what...same boring UI since the first iphone. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills here!

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Why not connect a controller through bluetooth? Just add a kick stand, and you have a sweet portable gaming system. I already do this with my android phone and a wireless classic Wii controller. Why not add full support for a Playstation 3 controller while they're at it?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
4 people above me forget that this is SONY we're talking about. They'll lock this thing down 10X tighter than the PS3 and put a half dozen anti-customrom thingies in it like they did the Droid X.

This coming from a owner of a 80 Gig PSFat.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I like how the media keeps touting Apple as if was on the vanguard in technology, when in fact it has being trailing Android for over a year. People don't seem to be able to react to how quickly this game has turned.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]4 people above me forget that this is SONY we're talking about. They'll lock this thing down 10X tighter than the PS3 and put a half dozen anti-customrom thingies in it like they did the Droid X.This coming from a owner of a 80 Gig PSFat.[/citation]
You think any of that will stop the community from getting what it wants? look at the PS3. The seemingly impenetrable console was even hacked, and is continuing to be hacked after each attempt that Sony tries to patch it over.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
imagine this.

a dual shock cut in 2, you hold it in the corners, and in the middle is a 10 inch screen. and that screen, plays psp/psp2 games, its also 720p, and has a minihdmi input, so you can connect ps3, or any other hdmi device into it.

i would so pay for that. SO pay for that.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]User69[/nom]Hopefully it won't rival the iPads same old boring, uncreative, restricted UI. I mean really does everything have to rival the iPad?[/citation]
You are totally right. iOS looked fresh and nice in it's beginning, but as soon as you've started using Android, the iOS GUI is laughable after all: the weather icon that displays 73°F all year long is the best example I can think of... Widgets are the way to go and even the stock Android desktops had this right from the beginning.
I hope that Sony will not try to reinvent the wheel with their customizations: the laggy mediascape they put on the Xperia x10 was the first thing to disable if you wanted a decently working handset...

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]If it can be used with a DS3 controller, it will be awesome.[/citation]

A PS3 Controller would also be nice.

mdsiu

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]With the PSP2 coming out relatively soon, Sony needs to ensure this won't eat its own future sales.[/citation]

1) Getting as much of the market share as possible is more important than worrying about "cannibalizing" one's own future sales. Just look at how well AMD/ATI did with the HD 5000 series graphics cards. Better to have one of your own products in the consumer's hands than your competitor's.

2) These are different market/price segments.

3) PSP2 will focus on its added portability and smaller form factor. You can't pocket a 9'-10" tablet.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mdsiu[/nom]1) Getting as much of the market share as possible is more important than worrying about "cannibalizing" one's own future sales. Just look at how well AMD/ATI did with the HD 5000 series graphics cards. Better to have one of your own products in the consumer's hands than your competitor's.2) These are different market/price segments.3) PSP2 will focus on its added portability and smaller form factor. You can't pocket a 9'-10" tablet.[/citation]

All true, I'm not denying that at all, I was mainly saying that Sony needs to make sure the products are differentiated enough, that's all.

[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]Hopefully this will open the door for some serious Linux gaming, since Android is based on this.[/citation]

Almost every OS that is not made by MS is based on Linux and that didn't change gaming for it so this will be no different

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]Hopefully this will open the door for some serious Linux gaming, since Android is based on this.[/citation]
Linux is merely the kernal, and for the most part it's great. The problem with Linux is all the craptastic, fragmented, poorly UI'd crap that sits on top of it. Mainstream gaming on Linux (excuse me, GNU/Linux, for the zealots)? Not gonna happen.

mavamaarten

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
If it has no buttons... It aint a game tablet, but a tablet with gaming function. Sometimes touch interactivity is a nice thing, but real games need physical buttons. How are you going to play first person shooters on a touch screen device [facepalm]

mavamaarten

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
If it has no buttons... It aint a game tablet, but a tablet with gaming function. Sometimes touch interactivity is a nice thing, but real games need physical buttons. How are you going to play first person shooters on a touch screen device [facepalm]

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Remember that version of the PSOne with the LCD built in? This seems like it would be an advanced version of that. With a kickstand built in and perhaps a USB host or built in App to allow a controller to be plugged in, as well as a competitive price, and this could be a great device.
If they offer the same hardware as the other tablets do, then what differentiates them? PS Suite isn't so big a deal considering an Android tablet could already get a PS1 emulator.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
How are you going to play first person shooters on a touch screen device

As long as your playing against other touch screen users at least it will be fair, but I agree with the kickstand / remote concept. I use a wii classic with my nexus one and it's awesome for retro gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.