News Report: Surface Laptop 3 Will Feature AMD Processors

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I look forward to seeing AMD mobile processors show up in premium laptops and tablets. The HP Envy x360 15z that I'm typing this message on right now performs on par with recent Intel products. Unfortunately, the build quality, digitizer, display, and HP drivers and UEFI implementation are all garbage. Hopefully Microsoft will provide a better overall product.

Reactions: JQB45
Aug 29, 2019
Ummm, maybe I'm nuts, but...
"with The Verge reporting in November 2019 that Microsoft ..."
seems a little premature to me...

Yes it seams to be premature, there have many rumors of Microsoft using AMD or ARM chips in surface produicts - similar to what about Apple Mac products and so far nothing. Likely latest Intel on pros and InceLake - with Thunderbolt 3 supports

Trusted Reviews indicated IceLake version on GeekBench - I am hoping for a foldable Lakefield version

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
I figure a 12 core phone processor would do it.
16 thread Ryzens do bring heat, how tame can they lower the power?I

I got a 4w. HP Stream and it is nearly unusable.
They need a h u g e quantum leap in the power\core count formula.

16 thread Ryzens do bring heat, how tame can they lower the power?
Who said anything about 16-threads? The Ryzen Picasso APUs top out at 4-cores with 8-threads, and models are available with a 15 watt TDP, which should be similar to the power draw and heat output of the processors used in the current Surface Laptop 2.

The Surface Laptop is also in a much higher price segment than something like an HP Stream. Whereas the Stream targets the budget end of thin-and-lights, the Surface Laptop lineup covers the $1000+ "ultrabook" range. The higher price allows them to include features like a magnesium alloy body that can more effectively dissipate heat.

Reactions: TJ Hooker