Report: Touchscreen Apple Netbook in Q309

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The problem everyone has with netbooks is they are too small and underpowered. Netbooks run only the most basic of apps (what they are designed for), and have smaller keyboards (necessary to keep overall machine size down). Personally, I use my CloudBook quite often for chatting or browsing the internet. Anything else, and I move to my desktop.

That said, if Apple ever does release a netbook, it will be small and underpowered, and every will praise Apple for their ingenuity. "Amazing, I love the tiny 6-inch screen on my Apple iPad".
"The tiny keys on the keyboard are perfect for dissuading my tendancy to touch type!"
"I don't miss running my apps, that's what my iPhone is for!"

It doesn't matter what apple does or doesn't do, apple fanbois and girls will praise apple for their cool designs, and ignore the rest of the world as it calls Apple out for doing what it always does: denying the existence of said product just to build hype, then releasing it to the waiting, outstretched hands of people with too much money and not enough common sense.

Steve Jobs and apple denied they had any plans to enter the cell phone market, then a year later, BAM! iPhone.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Not only will it be underpowered (like all netbooks), it will have a non-removable battery, and cost over $800.00. The only good thing about it is that it might use the ion platform.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
Like Jane mentioned in the article, a report such as this should be taken with a grain of salt. But you know for sure that Apple is watching the netbook market like a hawk, since that's one area of growth in the PC industry.

The thing is that Apple's products are split clearly between the CE side and the computing side. Sure, a netbook is a computer but could Apple make any supposed netbook straddle between being an OS X device vs. one that just syncs to iTunes? Maybe...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Apple's idea of junk is in the looks department, they honestly couldn't care less about the hardware. As long as they can through an intel and nvidia sticker on the box everyone (normal consumers) thinks that the computer will blaze through everything

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
all the apple netbook will be is a over sized iphone/ipod touch. the only difference is you will have a keyboard and maybe a usb port if your are lucky, the rumor is that it is touch screen, and what a better platform to use than the iphone os.

baka-mono

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
“We don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk, but we sure know how to build a over-$500 that is a piece of junk”

lol.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Apple uses the high prices of their hardware as part of their marketing, to reinforce the notion that their hardware is "special", and of higher quality than comparable PCs (when they in fact use identical hardware). Therefore, an Atom-powered Apple netbook would have to be at least $799 so people understand that it's not for the common folk. Apple would never release a Netbook in the same price range as e.g. the Aspire One.
If Apple really decides to produce a Netbook, it should come with the VIA C7 or even a low-end C2D instead, as well as Geforce or Radeon graphics, so they can justify the higher price tag. No Atom-powered netbook is worth more than $300 IMO - the CPU was never meant to be used in more expensive notebooks because of the poor performance (single-core 1 GHz Pentium-M class).

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Eh every computer has it's nitch, no need making fun of apple. No one makes fun of you when you run vista just for aero and directx 10.

Ok so who's gonna call me an apple fanboy first?

anyways i have a dell d620 with osx on it and i have desktop with XP and media center with vista (aero disabled lol). I use the hackintosh for email aim and web browsing and then i use my xp machine for left 4 dead and counterstrike. Anyways I like all my computers and they all have different purposes. I've thought about buying an actually macbook but that's just not logical to me since i can put up with a hackintosh, but i can see why people would buy it.

BTW I'm really looking forward to Windows 7, I tried the beta and it's way faster then vista, took a while for the XP replacement.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Eh every computer has it's nitch, no need making fun of apple. No one makes fun of you when you run vista just for aero and directx 10. Ok so who's gonna call me an apple fanboy first?anyways i have a dell d620 with osx on it and i have desktop with XP and media center with vista (aero disabled lol). I use the hackintosh for email aim and web browsing and then i use my xp machine for left 4 dead and counterstrike. Anyways I like all my computers and they all have different purposes. I've thought about buying an actually macbook but that's just not logical to me since i can put up with a hackintosh, but i can see why people would buy it.BTW I'm really looking forward to Windows 7, I tried the beta and it's way faster then vista, took a while for the XP replacement.[/citation]

I'll make fun of you for disabling aero! Do you realize that running aero will increase preformance since it uses the video card to draw the desktop instead of using the cpu. Since you disabled aero you are getting less preformance on your system.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Yes, Aero made everything smoother and more responsive on my Pentium-M 1.6 GHz/Radeon 9600M 128MB. No more "hall of mirrors" when moving windows.

G

HATERS...THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WILL EVER TALK DOWN ABOUT APPLE, MACBOOK, IPHONE, OSX ARE THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN TOUCHED ONE.. ITS EASY TO TRASH TALK SOMETHING YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED.. I USED TO DO THE SAME. THEN ONE DAY I GOT A MACBOOK RUNNING LEOPARD IN MY HANDS.
SO "THINK DIFFERENT"

Status
Not open for further replies.