Report: Windows 7 SP1 Coming Summer/Fall 2010

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
"99% vista code with less aggressive caching and a different start menu? Its more like Vista Plus! SP4"

Vista was based off of Win7. Vista was forked off of Win7 development a few years back, so Win7 has several years of extra functionality added to it. And most changes in Win7 is how it handles multi-cpu scaling, more memory, IO, and other sub-system functions. Win7 seems about the same but the only similarities it has with Vista is the GUI look and framework, the actual code is quite different.

G

There are at least a couple of things I really hope Win7 SP1 is going to correct, and that is basic functions that xp (and mac and linux) have always had, since the beginning of "computer age":

1) One is the possibility for "windows sizes and positions" to be remembered like they used to in Xp. Why this was removed from the user with Win7 is a mystery.

These are natural habits that we have developed throughout the
years. Opening windows with their settings set to a certain size and position is also a time saving tool (imagine the time lost (and money) for employees to CONSTANTLY have to resize every single window all day long, on a yearly basis!! Unbelievable.

2) The second one is the simple customization is the auto-arrange possibility for a folder (right click and disable "auto-arrange"). When the folder is then customised in thumbnails (or tiles) mode, icons/files are not sorted. So that you can arrange the folder manually, (very practical for pictures for example as you sort them by order of preference or group them, sort them manually etc…)

Personally, although I have purchased a retail copy of Win7 Ultimate, I have reverted back to the old XP as those basic functions removed are driving me nuts. (They are also avail. to Apple's Mac products and Linux) ...and we have made the decision not to upgrade the computers within our company unless these key points are back/fixed. (if not actually we are contemplating apple... so long for Microsoft)

Crossing fingers these are fixed/added with SP1... (Love the Microsoft campaign: 'I am a PC' and blab la was my idea…. Well about time they really listen customers & feedback and rectify).

luds

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
There are at least a couple of things I really hope Win7 SP1 is going to correct, and that is basic functions that xp (and mac and linux) have always had, since the beginning of "computer age":

1) One is the possibility for "windows sizes and positions" to be remembered like they used to in Xp. Why this was removed from the user with Win7 is a mystery.

These are natural habits that we have developed throughout the
years. Opening windows with their settings set to a certain size and position is also a time saving tool (imagine the time lost (and money) for employees to CONSTANTLY have to resize every single window all day long, on a yearly basis!! Unbelievable.

2) The second one is the simple customization is the auto-arrange possibility for a folder (right click and disable "auto-arrange"). When the folder is then customised in thumbnails (or tiles) mode, icons/files are not sorted. So that you can arrange the folder manually, (very practical for pictures for example as you sort them by order of preference or group them, sort them manually etc…)

Personally, although I have purchased a retail copy of Win7 Ultimate, I have reverted back to the old XP as those basic functions removed are driving me nuts. (They are also avail. to Apple's Mac products and Linux) ...and we have made the decision not to upgrade the computers within our company unless these key points are back/fixed. (if not actually we are contemplating apple... so long for Microsoft)

Crossing fingers these are fixed/added with SP1... (Love the Microsoft campaign: 'I am a PC' and blab la was my idea…. Well about time they really listen customers & feedback and rectify).

Status
Not open for further replies.