Report: Windows 7 SP1 Coming Summer, Fall

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Stick with XP.. winblowzz 7 is much slower and more buggy at the moment..
I expect Winblowzz 7 to be more stable as time goes on. 6 months to 2 years.. you know the story..
But until then just stick with Ubuntu and Wine.. Sability and speed. and no viruses.
Or if you have the cash to splash buy a Crapintosh .. by far a better computer.. and OS.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]gmcd2200[/nom]Stick with XP.. winblowzz 7 is much slower and more buggy at the moment..I expect Winblowzz 7 to be more stable as time goes on. 6 months to 2 years.. you know the story..But until then just stick with Ubuntu and Wine.. Sability and speed. and no viruses.Or if you have the cash to splash buy a Crapintosh .. by far a better computer.. and OS.[/citation]

Saying "winblowzz" is a -15 to credibility, especially when it's preceded by a recommendation to stick with XP.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Sheesh, this sure brought out alot of fanboys, from both sides.

Bad time to yell out "UBUNTU RULES!!!!" ? I think not. And it does.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Microsoft don't really care about piracy. Market share is more important than pure sales figures, because control of the market means control over software standards. Once Microsoft software becomes the standard it takes over the corporate world where the real money is. Consumer sales aren't worth much except for market share.Look at Internet Explorer. It throws actual industry standards out the window with shoddy implementations but because it is so widespread sites must be made to work with it anyway, thus it becomes the "pseudo-standard" if you like.[/citation]

This is always just speculation though. I'm sure nobody would be able to find that this is documented anywhere. If they didn't care about piracy, they wouldn't ban people's consoles from xbox live for example. Take that system off the shelf and slap a PS3 in its place, they lose market share there as well.

Also I'm guessing the only ways they normally fix the problem is either by WGA or a security update from the net, rather than service packs. It seems like their service packs are intended to address security issues but not piracy so they allow everyone to put in the SP and then those who want to go legit may be allowed to more easily that way. But I dunno. I have one system at work right now that I never put a key in and it just asks that I register it but I can still get into the o/s. it isn't pirated but isn't genuine either. The only reason why I have it like that though is it isn't my main system and I may end up formatting it.. I don't really use that pc. Mainly installed the o/s to test the hardware.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]XP64 SP2 still is the best OS around overall to me. Microsoft needs to start taking a minimalism approach to OS's where users can pick and choose more of what is or isn't installed as part of the OS itself and leaner, cleaner, more efficient code. Black box for windows is a prime example of the kind of mentality Microsoft should be taking.[/citation]

Windows 7 already does this. You can even uninstall all web browsers. MSIE is entirely separate from explorer now. I'm guessing this is why this guy got -7 already :p

Windows XP doesn't support directx10 either so you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by continuing to use an outdated o/s.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I only had two issues with Windows 7 and they were functions that I had no real use for so I deleted them which eliminated the error reports. There are a few errors that are created by third party vendors. Perhaps the SP1 is an attempt to please the third party vendors. We shall see.

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Microsoft don't really care about piracy. Market share is more important than pure sales figures, because control of the market means control over software standards. Once Microsoft software becomes the standard it takes over the corporate world where the real money is. Consumer sales aren't worth much except for market share.Look at Internet Explorer. It throws actual industry standards out the window with shoddy implementations but because it is so widespread sites must be made to work with it anyway, thus it becomes the "pseudo-standard" if you like.[/citation]
The term is "de facto standard," not always the best but it's how lots of standards are in place today

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]XP64 SP2 still is the best OS around overall to me. Microsoft needs to start taking a minimalism approach to OS's where users can pick and choose more of what is or isn't installed as part of the OS itself and leaner, cleaner, more efficient code. Black box for windows is a prime example of the kind of mentality Microsoft should be taking.[/citation]

You seriously need to get a job and a decent computer. Saving RAM is so 2000ish. The fatter it is the better as long as it is efficient. You know the HDD is a bottleneck, right?

Running a legacy OS isnt l33t my friend.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]You seriously need to get a job and a decent computer. Saving RAM is so 2000ish. The fatter it is the better as long as it is efficient. You know the HDD is a bottleneck, right? Running a legacy OS isnt l33t my friend.[/citation]

You are some kind of computer fashion trend analyst or something? Efficiency will always be a major positive point for a OS. Even if we're at 4Gb of RAM as a mainstream standard and 8Gb of RAM as an enthusiast standard for Desktop computers, 2Gb of RAM still is the standard for laptops and 1Gb of RAM is for notebooks(10inches ones)...No wonder why those still ship with Windows XP on. Windows 7 can run on those, but far from optimally.

Take an OS like Ubuntu, forget the fact or argument the OS lacks 3rd party support and development, and embrace the truth. This OS can run a 3D accelerated desktop environment (real 3D), with up to 4 HD mkv video files at the same time on a 4 faces 3D cube without an itch on a 2Gb of RAM machine with a pretty basic GPU (say a 8800GT). Only need a decent CPU, at least dual core, to do so. But minus the 4 HD movies running at the same time, this 3D desktop can run on a pretty old machine as quick as XP can, say an Althon XP 2500+ with 1Gb of RAM and a 6600GT...

Sure RAM is cheap, but that's no excuse to have a poor efficiency/result ratio. And that's a fact, Windows Vista/7 aren't efficient for what they deliver on screen. It's not BAD, but it's not great either.

Bigger isn't always better, it's true for cars, and it's also for computers. Why more RAM when you can do better with less? XP is a better OS than Vista or 7, and is not outdated as long as Microsoft supports it, end of story.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Downgrade Rights

Apparently if businesses are looking to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP, this will end with SP1 of Windows 7. However, it looks like they can still get XP, if they purchase Vista and downgrade to XP from it. However, then if they want Windows 7, they are stuck buying another license.

hop

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Business have plans to upgrade to Windows 7, I know of one big oil company, cough x cough on cough mobile is doing it. Of all companies, I figured they would be the last to do so, as they like to wait until the next version in order to upgrade. The days of 32 bit computing is numbered, people, let xp go, embrace 7. Never going back, what's 4 gig of memory has on 12 gigs? Nothing.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]I really hope they bring back the classic start menu, or at least make it MUCH more customizable. I want it LONGER so I can pin more programs....and I want to be able to folders and group programs on the start menu (graphics, games, office, utilities, etc). The win7 Start menu is a huge disaster to power users and those with lots of programs and don't want to hunt through the all programs folder constantly.geeze.The quick launch icons are also screwed up. Too much spacing between them and they don't stay put. It's a horrible step backwards.I also don't like grouping of open windows on the taskbar. I turned the feature off but it still does it for some reason in IE. Not that MS is going to read this post....[/citation]

This was worth +1000, but unfortunately I could only give you +1. :)

foproy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]You are some kind of computer fashion trend analyst or something? Efficiency will always be a major positive point for a OS. Even if we're at 4Gb of RAM as a mainstream standard and 8Gb of RAM as an enthusiast standard for Desktop computers, 2Gb of RAM still is the standard for laptops and 1Gb of RAM is for notebooks(10inches ones)...No wonder why those still ship with Windows XP on. Windows 7 can run on those, but far from optimally.[/citation]

most newer netbooks are running 7 now. its the starter edition which removes most of the aero features. also i had an old xp pc that barely met the minimum requirements during the beta, and it ran most programs as good as if not better than xp did at the time. and this was on a 1.6ghz athalon 64, with 1 gig ddr.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]foproy[/nom]most newer netbooks are running 7 now. its the starter edition which removes most of the aero features. also i had an old xp pc that barely met the minimum requirements during the beta, and it ran most programs as good as if not better than xp did at the time. and this was on a 1.6ghz athalon 64, with 1 gig ddr.[/citation]

With most features removed from 7, it's hard to argue which between it and XP is a better RAM manager I agree, but real evolution in my opinion is doing more with less. Like I pointed out, Ubuntu is able to perform as good if not better than XP with better Eye Candy than 7, and with as much if not more features. The only problem is compatibility and ease of management. I point out management, cause Ubuntu is as easy to use as Windows is. But I don't want to start a Linux vs Windows debate here, it was only to point out the latest Windows OSes could be better optimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.