Report: Windows 7 SP1 Release Pushed to Q4'10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
windows 7 pro so far has been working extremely well for me since my install on jan 1st.

the only complaint i had was at the beginning primarily due to the user interface but im used to it now more or less

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Jakew120[/nom]Is this service pack free or do I have to pay for it.[/citation]

It's not OSX where they release a new "version" every 1-2 years. It's windows... and contrary to popular belief, you actually pay less for more in the long run (service packs are free). Hell, how long did XP last again? 5-6 years?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Service packs have become marketing tools an are less important than they were years ago. Enterprise deployments just get the updates separately or from MSDN and do slipstream installs.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]landerx74[/nom]The Service pack once installed will deduct $100 from your bank account. Thats what my cousin Yosi told me.[/citation]

lol.. you know Yosi too? Sweet!

halcyon

Splendid
Windows 7 needs a service pack? Not for quality/stability issues for sure! I wish Mac OS X 10.6.2 was a care-free/beachball-free/fast/stable as Windows 7 has been for me out-of-the-box. Oh well. I guess it'd be nice to have the, what is it now, 19-or-so, Windows 7 essential updates in one package. Good job Microsoft, finally, good job.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It's not OSX where they release a new "version" every 1-2 years. It's windows... and contrary to popular belief, you actually pay less for more in the long run (service packs are free). [/citation]
OSX updates are not just cumulative patches though. I would expect patches to be free.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
So the big question is why Microsoft is rushing a service pack on a stable (compared to previous MS Operating Systems) platform.

I suspect the answer is related to a recent update Microsoft put out. The one they didn't force you to install, but should you so choose, interrogates your system for validity on an ongoing basis. What do you suppose the odds are that it is baked into the service pack?

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I won't judge until I see what's in the release. If it's just a slipstream of the patches, meh. The M$ OS lead said they were doing more incremental releases as the future model when W7 was announced. As competitive as W7 is, if there's new useful features in SP1, that's a game changer IMHO.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
SP1 will probably bring support for USB 3.0. At least that is my theory on why they are pushing its release earlier than planned.

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Ubervelt[/nom]What the hell does Windows 7 need a service pack for? Seems fine to me?[/citation]

How about to fix the annoy 30 second desktop delay when you use a solid color desktop background?

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
What the hell does Windows 7 need a service pack for? Seems fine to me?

Windows 7 got a better start than any other version of windows, but still try to work with it in corporate environments with custom and old infrastructure. And don't forget the main reason...71033 update... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.