Report: Windows 8 Apps Are Easily Hacked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe its just me, but at least in the beginning all IOS app security was controlled by the device. Once jail broken you could put ANY app on and it would be full and free. I remember a friend just connecting to an ipod with wireless and filling the thing with "free" apps. Also once jail broken, you could edit everything in games too(most easy game modifications I ever did see. lots of it was just pain text).

Hackers are gonna hack.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
How ironic. I can only imagine the look on Microsoft's faces.

If I could give them some advice: GO BACK TO OPEN PLATFORM. You're not cut out to follow Apple around.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Microsoft became microsoft because they had the easiest copy protection to break. It's how MS is the powerhouse it is. I can almost promise you that this was done on purpose so MS could get a larger share of the market. If people are sharing full paid programs for free, more people are going ot use it, creating demand for the Windows marketplace. Problem is, MS has done this soo many times that it's not working anymore.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Microsoft became microsoft because they had the easiest copy protection to break. It's how MS is the powerhouse it is. I can almost promise you that this was done on purpose so MS could get a larger share of the market. If people are sharing full paid programs for free, more people are going ot use it, creating demand for the Windows marketplace. Problem is, MS has done this soo many times that it's not working anymore.[/citation]

Exactly, it's not working anymore because now developers have other established ecosystems where they can get money from, so why invest in this insecure one ? iOS, Android, Steam, Origin are a few of the choices developers now have to distribute their programs and / or games.

It's also ironic that Microsoft advised people, right before the launch of Windows 8, to turn off gadgets in Windows Vista and Windows 7 because, according to them, the platform is not secure. So, instead of patching it up like they do with the rest of the OS, they decide to tell people that that platform, that provides the same kind of functionality of live tiles, BUT without you having to leave the desktop, nor having to run fullscreen, is not secure anymore. May I remind that many desktop programs ship with a gadget, so you get the best of both worlds, a small program with the essential information you want on the desktop, and a full desktop application, that runs on a resizeable window, functionality that you don't get with "Modern" style apps.

I only have to say that they got what they deserve.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]There's no such thing as free lunch. Developers are also humans, they need to put food on the table as well.[/citation]
true, but if they are trying to get their name out there and known and have the time and resources to do so, it's not a bad idea.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yes so lets worry about how hackable Windows 8 Apps are, considering Windows 8 only makes up maybe only 1% of the PC market. Apple had a better track record 20 years ago.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]I love how people think devs are "entitled" to money. What ever happened to make a program simply because it needed to be made? You'll see thousands of open source/completely free programs that developers worked hard as hell on & didn't ask for a penny (unless someone wanted to donate).[/citation]
The reason devs program....is to make money. By your line of thinking, you shouldn't feel entitled to receive a paycheck from your employer (assuming you actually have one) since the job has to be done.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
You know i wouldn't scoff off Windows 8 App store. There is a game on there called "radiant Defense" and i must say it is VERY ADDICTING game that i might actually buy the bonus packs. Dirt cheap too. I guess my point i am trying to make is i can be playing these kind of games on my AMD Turion Laptop instead of on my phone. I think this is the trend that we are going to see. Now i can see why Gabe is concerned now. "Windows 8 is a catastrophe" Yeah.. "Catastrophe" to his bottom line lol. Serious though, I have never felt this good playing a game that was this addicting. Not even a triple A titles were that addicting as this mobile game. That out to tell you something right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.