REPORT: Windows 8 Hits Milestone 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Bring back XP's ability to create a default user profile or we stick with XP. MS wonders why the education world has been slow to adopt Vista and 7.... this is one of the key reasons. When 10 random people share a single PC each day, they don't want the "out of box experience" when they log in (answer IE 8 questions, setup search provider, useless icons on the start menu and taskbar, etc...)[/citation]

Research would have told you that this is absolutely an option. Money, being spread thin, and other educational priorities are more likely the reason for not adopting new technology in that environment.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]So... from 6.1 to 6.2? That kinda sucks.[/citation]

Uh...what??

You were expecting 6.3.14159 to round things out or something? What difference does the build numbering make?

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
For those that have heard horror stories about Vista, don't assume that they plague Windows 7. Windows 7 is WAY better than Vista. It took me some time to get use to it, coming from XP. I still love XP and have a new found love for Win7. Believe me, i wish they could have just recompiled XP64 and made it as nice as Win7, unfortunately not happening. I will probably use Win7 for at least the next 3-5 yrs, if not longer depending on how Microsoft licenses its upcoming software and features. If they are compatible then no need to upgrade. Now if you have an MSDN account then you will be able to test Win8 and if you don't like it reinstall Win7. JMO

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
@Havocnme

Most Vista problems were due to "ecosystem shock". MS did a bad job coordinating with partners and OEMs to get the software and driver ecosystem ready for the big architectural overhaul.

Although Windows 7 isn't Vista the big architectural overhaul is done for now. The pain in the Vista ecosystem resolved itself in time. When Win7 hit the hard part was already done.

Didn't have a Vista driver for an XP device? Too bad. Didn't have a Win7 driver for a Vista device? Meh...use the old driver...still works fine.

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Microsoft stated that they will be releasing OS's every 3 years starting with Windows 7 at the last Intel conference I attended. They believe it was a mistake to have let XP have become so rooted in the industry, that people did not want to upgrade, which prevents things from moving forward, especially in terms of security.

Status
Not open for further replies.