Report: Windows 8 Will Become Top Hacking Target in 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Someone tell these hackers they are wasting their time. hacking Windows 8 will be like hacking Windows Vista lol[/citation]

At least ~10 percent of all consumer x86 computers with internet connections have Vista IIRC. That's a huge amount of people to infect, especially since it'd be used more by older systems than 7 and 8 and thus would probably have a high percentage of systems with minimal protection. Even if 8 doesn't top Vista in market share, it most certainly would be a large target for attacks and I'm willing to bet that it'll at least be between Vista and 7 in market share within a year or two, not near or below vista. It lacks many huge problems that Vista had while only having a few minor to moderate UI troubles that most average users shouldn't be particularly bothered by.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]At least ~10 percent of all consumer x86 computers with internet connections have Vista IIRC. That's a huge amount of people to infect, especially since it'd be used more by older systems than 7 and 8 and thus would probably have a high percentage of systems with minimal protection. Even if 8 doesn't top Vista in market share, it most certainly would be a large target for attacks and I'm willing to bet that it'll at least be between Vista and 7 in market share within a year or two, not near or below vista. It lacks many huge problems that Vista had while only having a few minor to moderate UI troubles that most average users shouldn't be particularly bothered by.[/citation]

7 has 46% of the market so targetting pc's with 7 on them would actaully be a lot more logical then to target systems with Vista on them. I mean striking gold that's a 10% shot vs striking gold that's a 46% shot is worth more your time, effort and resources knowing that the odds are a lot greater.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]7 has 46% of the market so targetting pc's with 7 on them would actaully be a lot more logical then to target systems with Vista on them. I mean striking gold that's a 10% shot vs striking gold that's a 46% shot is worth more your time, effort and resources knowing that the odds are a lot greater.[/citation]

Yes, but many 7 exploits work in Vista with minimal change to increase the number of potential victims significantly and even then, targeting Vista and 8 would mean that you get two still very large sets of potential victims that are already less utilized by other hackers and thus likely to be easier to infect a greater portion, possibly superior to the portion of Windows 7 potential infections as a result of that. The same is true for 8, especially if the majority of people buying it aren't very computer security-literate and don't have very computer security-literate people managing their computers.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I now install EMET3.0 on all my machines at maximum settings. Doesn't hurt.

I recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Yes, but many 7 exploits work in Vista with minimal change to increase the number of potential victims significantly and even then, targeting Vista and 8 would mean that you get two still very large sets of potential victims that are already less utilized by other hackers and thus likely to be easier to infect a greater portion, possibly superior to the portion of Windows 7 potential infections as a result of that. The same is true for 8, especially if the majority of people buying it aren't very computer security-literate and don't have very computer security-literate people managing their computers.[/citation]

Hackers target the most popular things and if corp and gov agencies just switched over to Windows 7 recently that wat hackers are going to exploit the most over any other OS. There is a reason windows bvased pc's get hacked into a lot more then any other os based pc is because windows has 90% of the marketand for that it's going to be targetted 9:1 over any other none microsoft OS.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Hackers target the most popular things and if corp and gov agencies just switched over to Windows 7 recently that wat hackers are going to exploit the most over any other OS. There is a reason windows bvased pc's get hacked into a lot more then any other os based pc is because windows has 90% of the marketand for that it's going to be targetted 9:1 over any other none microsoft OS.[/citation]

Why are you repeating my point to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.