News Reports Of PC HDDs' Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: 139M Shipped in 2020

D

Deleted member 2783327

For me there are three considerations (1). Cost (2). Physical space (3). Number of ports.
I have 13 x 12TB Seagate NAS drives. 10 in my server and 3 connected to a single and a double enclosure.

To get that capacity in SSDs (The biggest consumer drive available here is 4TB), I'd have to buy 52 4TB drives at A$1600 each, An investment of A$83,200.

External drives are connected by 10Gbps USB. All LAN infrastructure is 10Gbps. The HDDs are the slowest link, but writing at 220MB/s is better than at 112MB/s

The total investment in the NAS drives was A$7150. SSDs are currently 11.63x the price of Spinners.

How would I connect 52 SATA drives? The drives I have connected externally are for low use stuff and backups. The 10 slots on my motherboard are all loaded in the server. So for the SSDs I'd also have to invest in additional hardware to connect the drives. Don't know how much that would cost.

I also don't have the space to house any more equipment. I don;t have a server rack, though I've considered it, heat would be an issue and server hardware doesn't really come with good cooling.

I used to use desktop model drives. The failure rate of those was 100% within warranty periods. Back then warranty was usually 3 years. 100% of all desktop drives I purchased failed in 18 months or less. Those drives were about 20% less cost back then compared to NAS drives.

I dispose of NAS drives in less than 3 years. My failure rate is down to about 1 per 2 years, or about 1 in every 8 drives. I spend about A$2000 per year replacing those drives, but I resell the replaced drives for about A$1400.

HDDs are definitely not dead and won't be until the capacity and price come down to that of HDDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
I have 13 x 12TB Seagate NAS drives. 10 in my server and 3 connected to a single and a double enclosure.
You are offset by the people who have but a single laptop with an SSD.

You are waaaaay out on the edge of residential storage needs.
I'm not far behind, though. My NAS has 11 spinners in or attached, and 1x SSD for the system drive. 51TB available space.