Question Reprogram Seagate BIOS Chip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 22, 2020
Hi there,

so here's the thing. The cache chip on my sister's Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 9YN164-500 (FW: CC4B) burned out (i.e. got immediately hot in that area and it smelled burned), so I went ahead and bought a new PCB with the same model and same revision.
The problem is, I accidentally broke off one leg of the BIOS chip while transferring.

Is there any way I can retrieve their data?
I thought of buying a third PCB (because I probably ruined the second one already lol) and trying to reprogram the chip with a firmware .bin file I found for that hard drive model with the same firmware on another site (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name). However, they do say in a README, that they don't know if the firmware works or if it's corrupt because their drive failed for not only electrical damage.
Would that be possible? Is there another way I could get a hold of the (working) firmware I need?

Are there other possibilities, as I don't have the financial capacity as a student to shell out at least one grand for a platter swap if that would even do anything.

Suggestions would be highly appreciated!

In conclusion: I now have a molten chip that hopefully the local repair guy can somehow save on tuesday which will probably set me back a grand plus I got a new screw because I lost one at home
If the ROM is the only problem, and if it can be repaired, then you shouldn't be paying for a data recovery, only a drive repair. I would expect to pay no more than $200.

If, OTOH, the drive has additional internal problems, then $1000 would be in the ball park.

Aug 22, 2020
Well, I'm hoping to not pay a whole lot for it but based on the quote I got (1280) when the chip still looked like a chip with just a missing leg, I wouldn't be too sure about that.

In the end, I'll just have to wait and see about that