Question Repurposing wall AC 20A dedicated circuit for my desktop?

Sep 2, 2024
I have a wall AC that I no longer need connected to a 20A circuit outlet (the outlet receptacle says 20A - 125V). It looks like a dedicated circuit.

I want to repurpose it for either my desktop or my PC peripherals (monitors, speaker). I noticed that whenever I start my PC, the ceiling light always flickers for a brief second.

My desktop has a Cosair RM750x PSU, which takes in an input current of 10A based on the specs. My concern is that the 20A circuit's breaker would not be able to protect the PSU; if the current goes above 10A, the PSU might get fried first before the breaker flips.

Another option is to connect my PC peripherals (2 monitors and a speaker) to this 20A circuit outlet. I connect the peripherals to a power strip. I believe my power strip is not rated for 20A (because the outlet contact openings are not t-shaped).

Which is safer, or are both options bad?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a wall AC that I no longer need connected to a 20A circuit outlet (the outlet receptacle says 20A - 125V). It looks like a dedicated circuit.

I want to repurpose it for either my desktop or my PC peripherals (monitors, speaker). I noticed that whenever I start my PC, the ceiling light always flickers for a brief second.

My desktop has a Cosair RM750x PSU, which takes in an input current of 10A based on the specs. My concern is that the 20A circuit's breaker would not be able to protect the PSU; if the current goes above 10A, the PSU might get fried first before the breaker flips.

Another option is to connect my PC peripherals (2 monitors and a speaker) to this 20A circuit outlet. I connect the peripherals to a power strip. I believe my power strip is not rated for 20A (because the outlet contact openings are not t-shaped).

Which is safer, or are both options bad?
It is a little hard to see, but I believe that outlet is a standard 20A outlet which will accommodate a standard 15A plug. To determine if this is a dedicated circuit, you can look at your breaker box for a breaker that is 20A and maybe labeled for the room. I am betting that outlet was installed for a window air conditioner at some point.

Sep 2, 2024
It is a little hard to see, but I believe that outlet is a standard 20A outlet which will accommodate a standard 15A plug. To determine if this is a dedicated circuit, you can look at your breaker box for a breaker that is 20A and maybe labeled for the room. I am betting that outlet was installed for a window air conditioner at some point.
That is right, it was installed for a wall AC. My breaker box did not have it labelled specifically, but I quite sure it is a dedicated circuit (because there are only a few unlabelled breakers and they are 20A breakers). Would it be safe to connect my PSU or power strip to it? Which is safer?

kanewolf

Titan
That is right, it was installed for a wall AC. My breaker box did not have it labelled specifically, but I quite sure it is a dedicated circuit (because there are only a few unlabelled breakers and they are 20A breakers). Would it be safe to connect my PSU or power strip to it? Which is safer?
A quality power strip has some surge and noise filtering. I use only IsoBar power strips.