[SOLVED] Requirements for Samsung C49G97T Monitor

May 3, 2022
Hey all,

New to the forum so bear with me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am looking for a new monitor since my current one is having some display issues and is over 3 years old. I'm interested in a 49" monitor and mainly the Odyssey G9 from Samsung. My main question is; Will my current setup be able to accommodate to the display or will I just need to slap beefier hardware in?

My build is mainly for gaming and I also occasionally work from the desktop as well so it is dual purpose for gaming/productivity. Going forward this build will likely be more gaming/entertainment focused, as I want to get rid of my TV in my room and just use the ultrawide for that.

I currently have an RTX 2070 and an i7-8700K. I understand these two components are 'old' but my goal isn't to run the highest possible settings on every game. I want to be able to upgrade my current 31.5" MSI monitor (2560x1440) to a better one without needing to upgrade GPU/CPU at this time. The G9 seems future proof so I'm not worried about making upgrades down the line and still utilizing the resolution/performance of this monitor.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Will my current setup be able to accommodate to the display or will I just need to slap beefier hardware in?
that all depends on the resolution and settings you want to use and what frame rates you expect.
currently have an RTX 2070 and an i7-8700K
at 1440p with a mix of low-high settings i would expect ~60fps with this combination.

if you're upgrading to just a larger screen you will see the exact same performance that you see now.
if you're planning on moving up to 4K you will see drastically lower frame rates even with lower settings in place.

what is the resolution and refresh rate of this new Samsung display?
Will my current setup be able to accommodate to the display or will I just need to slap beefier hardware in?
that all depends on the resolution and settings you want to use and what frame rates you expect.
currently have an RTX 2070 and an i7-8700K
at 1440p with a mix of low-high settings i would expect ~60fps with this combination.

if you're upgrading to just a larger screen you will see the exact same performance that you see now.
if you're planning on moving up to 4K you will see drastically lower frame rates even with lower settings in place.

Solution
May 3, 2022

Sorry forgot to mention the size, its a 5120x1440 up to 240hz. I definitely feel like I could be pushing it lol

its a 5120x1440
with an overclocked GTX 1080 Ti & i7-8700K(@ 5.2GHz) i was getting ~65-75fps in the most demanding games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077 @ 3440x1440.

with a 2070 and a super ultra-wide 1440p i would expect less than 50fps even with lower settings in games like those.

if you plan on pretty substantial CPU & GPU upgrades in the near future i'd say go for it.
but if not i'd image possible game performance will be disappointing.

May 3, 2022
with an overclocked GTX 1080 Ti & i7-8700K(@ 5.2GHz) i was getting ~65-75fps in the most demanding games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077 @ 3440x1440.

with a 2070 and a super ultra-wide 1440p i would expect less than 50fps even with lower settings in games like those.

if you plan on pretty substantial CPU & GPU upgrades in the near future i'd say go for it.
but if not i'd image possible game performance will be disappointing.

Yea that is sort of my thinking right now. I certainly plan on making upgrades especially to my GPU when this card craze dies down a little bit. But for not I guess I need to decide if I'm ok with running slightly compromised graphics/performance for a little bit while I wait to upgrade the PC.

I also want to look into overclocking since that might give me an extra push to see some better results

May 3, 2022
cards are available for MSRP almost everywhere now.
you'll still see scalper prices included from 3rd party sellers but most of the large retailers are carrying good deals again.
cards are available for MSRP almost everywhere now.
you'll still see scalper prices included from 3rd party sellers but most of the large retailers are carrying good deals again.

I'll start to look a little more in depth, I did notice prices seem to be better now.

Would I be able to run a 3070 or 3080 with the i7-8700K efficiently? Or would both the CPU and GPU have to be upgraded together?

If I need to replace both the GPU and CPU, I'm probably going to stick with the setup for a little and just try the bigger monitor out and see how it goes.

Many games have an option for resolution scaling, they render the game at a higher resolution then scale it down to the resolution you are using, it's a very high quality anti aliasing method. You can use this to test out how your system will run on a higher resolution monitor, go into the game set the scaling to what you want to run it as, see what affect it has on the FPS. Generally the resolution frame drops are linear, so double the pixels will halve the FPS.

Would I be able to run a 3070 or 3080 with the i7-8700K efficiently? Or would both the CPU and GPU have to be upgraded together?
the biggest factor for game performance is the GPU.
the 8700K can provide a decent amount of frames to the GPU so it would definitely be a noticeable upgrade in FPS over the 2070.

start with the RTX 3080 and see how well games perform with the new super ultra-wide.
i would guess closer to 100fps with even higher settings in place.

if you're disappointed with the performance you could always upgrade the CPU later on.
it will also require a new motherboard if you plan on anything 10th gen or newer.
i would definitely recommend going for 12th gen if you do decide to upgrade anytime soon.
they offer substantially higher performance than any previous generation.