Researcher: First Quantum Computers are 5 to 10 Years Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
That first quantum computer will be the equivalent of an Intel 4004 and be running in a University Lab somewhere. The first commercial processors will be 10 years after that, cost thousands of dollars, and require cryogenic cooling. The first home computers will be 10 years after that.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
"only 300 qubits would be required to store "a number greater than the number of particles in the universe."

So, 300 atoms would do this?
And if this statement is correct, how about the computational power of a few trillion?

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Silicon?
Seriously?
If they were using synthetic diamonds since 1996 (when they were patented for semiconductors creation along with methods of production), we'd ALREADY have quantum computers...
Actually, no, we probably wouldn't, because that would be a huge leap in computing which isn't what Capitalism likes - the system we live in prefers using inefficient materials and means of production because its profitable (its why we still use Silicon and why we get to use outdated technology based on the said material).

Pathetic.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol....what we need is to help the homeless and people that are struggling in the US not some quantum computer that the average joe can't afford....such stupidity

Hiii

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol....what we need is to help the homeless and people that are struggling in the US not some quantum computer that the average joe can't afford....such stupidity[/citation]

I wonder how comments like this get thumbdowns.

MeriaX

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Hiii[/nom]I wonder how comments like this get thumbdowns.[/citation]

Apparently you both missed the FIRST word in this article. Let me help you out...Australian...not American.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MeriaX[/nom]Apparently you both missed the FIRST word in this article. Let me help you out...Australian...not American.[/citation]
australian or american it does not matter, every country has the same problems....show me one perfect country....you can't

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol....what we need is to help the homeless and people that are struggling in the US not some quantum computer that the average joe can't afford....such stupidity[/citation]
that your parents didn't use protection... yeah i know!

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
So.. back to quantum computers!

This article is very vague.. just like the scientists researching these technologies. I don't understand why they think us to be stupid and use scientific words to confuse us out of the details.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

When i bought my first ZX-81 my friends just asked WHAT for ... it cost me a weekly paycheck after all.
To anyone living in 1975 an i5 PC with 16GB ram and 2TB hard drive was the equivalent of a 'quantum computer'. And of course totally unimaginable or affordable.
I just bought above config for under $600...

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
patently absurd. what you are saying is essentially that science funding should be eradicated... set to zero. there is no way to predict what channels of research will change the world for the better... absolutely no way. apparently you disapprove of research in general. anti-science morons such as yourself are pathetically clueless.

over half (approaching 60%) of the united states annual budget is channeled directly into the military and the military-industrial complex. do you even have the slightest clue how much money 60% of the annual US budget is? Do you?

and here you are pointing at the tiniest sliver of fraction of a forgotten rivulet of an ant's piss drop fraction of the budget and saying... STOP SCIENCE - FEED THE HUNGRY.

how about you educate yourself before talking next time

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

That is selfish.

Why should REAL progress stop because you bought a house you couldn't afford, or lost your job and can't get a new one or are smart enough to get a different form of income besides welfare?

Self-centered, and definitely selfish. It's people like you are the reason why our economies are in the tank.

The war on poverty will never, ever.... ever be won. There will ALWAYS be the haves and the have nots.

The communists proved that and look where it got them... The north koreans are doing it too and look at them...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Apparently you have a computer. You should have donated that money to help the homeless, hypocrite.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

50 years ago...

"Lol, we don't need some unstable silicon transistors"

100 years ago...

"Lol, we don't need some unstable computers based on vacuum tubes."

More than 100 years ago...

"There is no need for the 'talking wire', telegram is sufficient" -Western Union
"There is no need for the internal combustion engine, steam engines are perfectly sufficient."

More than 150 years ago...

"Our messenger boys are sufficient. We have no need for the telegram."

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

30 years ago:
"LOL! 640KB of Memory...ought to be enough for anybody!" © Bill Gates.

20 years ago:
"LOL! Anybody who needs more than 64MB of Memory per one task - tough cookies!" © Linus Torvalds.

10 years ago:
"ROR! Good quarity 1TB HDD for 100$!? IMPOSSIBURU!" © Hitachi.

8 years ago:
"LOL, Hitachi U so nooby!" © Seagate in response to Hitachi.

5 years ago:
"LOL! Good quality 1TB External HDD for 100$!? IMPOSSIBLE!" © Western Digital.

2 years ago:
"LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOL!!! CAN YOU DIG IT SUCKA!?" © Seagate in response to Western Digital.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Am I the only one that sees the problem with Quantum Computing being its potential power if it actually turns out to be possible? I mean say the first product is a monstrosity, but fits within the actual quantum computing boundaries and therefore can be called a Quantum Computer. If you give it the rough time line of 40 years similar to computers to work out the kinks and get down to a marketable level, wouldn't it be very hard to push new products?

I can definitely see the capitalism argument since it will ultimately be corporations that bring such technology to the masses, but with so much "easy" potential after the initial concept is designed, built, and tested, it just seems like the end all solution for nobody to upgrade further. Of course software would have to be redesigned to take advantage of its potential, but I don't think the average Joe would probably notice much of a difference between a 300 qubit processor and a 200 qubit processor and most likely wouldn't even need to look much further. Then again I'm a n00b in Quantum Physics so maybe I'm just getting it all wrong.

It does scare the hell out of me thinking what Governments could do if it became a reality. Then again I'll be long dead to not see the possible negative impacts it could have on the populace, given technology is a double edged sword. A very sharp one if that.

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Yeah.No.First, stop being the world's №8 country that runs on coal, and only then we'll talk. Until then, dismissed.[/citation]

I will ignore the sledge at my country but, The Australian CSIRO is one of the best in the world in terms of research and development mostly because they are one of the only scientific research centres that aren't restricted by government funding, due to the money that they receive as royalties for everyone in the world using wifi ( a tech that the no8 country in the world created).

Now before you keep talking about my country remember that most of our problems are due to our governments arse kissing behavior to your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.