Researchers Create Single-Atom Transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow, think about it for a second..
We are building things out of ATOMS.. ATOMS!!

You serious? I mean sure we have carbon nanotubes and stuff but just wow.
And soon computers transistors may even be based on single Atoms?

I think we are advancing pretty damn fast, I mean we took over this planet and affected it in multiple ways, carve parts of it to our liking..

ARGH it's just insane.. >.< Humans are too powerful.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wow, think about it for a second..We are building things out of ATOMS.. ATOMS!!You serious? I mean sure we have carbon nanotubes and stuff but just wow.And soon computers transistors may even be based on single Atoms?I think we are advancing pretty damn fast, I mean we took over this planet and affected it in multiple ways, carve parts of it to our liking..ARGH it's just insane.. >.< Humans are too powerful.[/citation]

oh just wait until they decide to play fallout IRL

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Arthur C Clarke wrote in the book 3001 that the race that invented the Monolith had found a way to store information by manipulating the fabric of space
At this rate we won't have to wait a thousand years for that to happen for real

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
thats around 100x smaller than intels trigate transistors. Imagine the speed!

also now that this is possible I fear well hit a wall in tech dev in the next 2 decades.

G

software is equaly important as hardware.

look at why AMD is falling behind in CPU, also they are gradualy loosing to nvidia in terms of features.

we need good software for good hardware.... bulldozer, was fail. dont know if its fixed yet nor do i care, I wont buy such a POS underperforming cpu.

point is hardware goes only sofar, software also needs to step in to make a great difference.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"The researchers said that the 'electronic properties of the device were in excellent agreement with theoretical predictions for a single phosphorus atom transistor.'"

How good are these theoretical predictions, anyway? Are they better than what can be expected of silicon-based transistors of a larger scale?

[citation][nom]jawaaz[/nom]Hmmm...getting more advanced to make atoms slaves of humans :p ....Salute to makers of this and if we do enough advances ,we might start using only quarks as processors :) CEO & Founder @Koenizsegg Corporation!http://www.koenizsegg.co.cc[/citation]
you are the Christian von Koenigsegg ehh?

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
" We did it boys!! We created an atom-scale processor!! We shall call it the Atom Processor...oh wait... AAAAAAARRGH friggin' intel ^#$%&#$ trademarks 38#^$*^$#&!!!!!!"

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]" We did it boys!! We created an atom-scale processor!! We shall call it the Atom Processor...oh wait... AAAAAAARRGH friggin' intel ^#$%&#$ trademarks 38#^$*^$#&!!!!!!"[/citation]
They could always call it the 2.21 Angstrom, doesn't roll off the tongue as easy but at least it's accurate

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]So when is apple going to sue for stealing their invention?[/citation]

I'm surprised they haven't sued Intel yet for naming their products as "Core" , oh wait, Apple are just Intel clones, nevermind.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]so whats after this then?electron transistors?[/citation]

no! Dual and Quad Atoms branded by Intel! Marketing Geniuses will convince the populace that 4 Atoms (already capable of computing any mathematical algorithm instantly) will open email windows faster than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS