Researchers Decipher Neural Code of Vision

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Combine this with the tech that they used to store 70TB to one piece of DNA and we are good to go :p People could see our life stories. They could use the memories stored through our sight to help alzheimer's patients.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Combine this with the tech that they used to store 70TB to one piece of DNA and we are good to go :p People could see our life stories. They could use the memories stored through our sight to help alzheimer's patients.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]That is awesome!Now how about a cure for amblyopia for adults T-T[/citation]

I'm sure someone will come up with a plugin or App for that too. :)

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom] Imagine an individual blind all their life finally being able to see again.[/citation]

There is something wrong with that statement... I just can't quite put my finger on it... :p

Anyway, this is an unbelievable breakthrough. This means direct optical nerve input is a reality. Imagine the possibilities - and the downsides as well: imagine hacking into someone's optical input device... A whole new breed for therapists.

In the near future, the border between the virtual and the actual world will become blurred beyond recognition...
Another very real side effect will be the "always connected" human being. You will need a completely new set of benchmarks against such a person, as they would practically ace through any and all tests.

Then again, I'm also worried about new forms of segregation stemming from having such "enabled" humans.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Imagine an individual blind all their life finally being able to see again.[/citation]

"able to see again" implies they could see before.
"individual blind all their life" implies they could never see before.

I know, it's just a little typo but as a programmer used to logic that just jumps out :)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
"We can rebuild him... better... faster... stronger than before..."

Imagine the first patient taking a DMV eye exam.

Examiner: Please read the bottom line.
Customer: Copyright 2024 EyeLab Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Not to be used for medical purposes. Instructions to the examiner: test subject should stand at a distance of 3 meters...

Status
Not open for further replies.