Researchers Detect Big Flaws in GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Uh, the flaw is in the upload and file access system of the receiver itself being vulnerable. That could be greatly mitigated by the user only downloading their software from a secure manufacture site. I have a Garmin Nuvi and found out I can get all sorts of "voices" and junk from lots of sources. While this is more open, it makes the device vulnerable to this type of hacking.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
not good at all... but does the "military GPS" have this problem?. if not, theN "license" Emergency services to use the "military" GPS... PROBLEM solved... off course if the military does not want to this ... WERE ALL DOOMED, I SAY, WERE ALL DOOMED. LOL... and SOL.
but any sane person does not trust GPS 100% of the time.
(look outside and at your surrounding people!)
and use the internet to get maps... (second source helps)
(but this could be a feature, the white house (or government builds) would be protected by having this kind of "jammer" to Deactivate any gps's...

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
nah, i don't believe this news :p what attack ? i think gps only calculating distance from satellites signal, maps are downloaded offline.

Great another a-hole found a way to hack something. Make 'destructive hacking' a felony with 5 year automatic years in jail. Treat these folks as Terrorists with the same (lack of) rights.

Next all military use to only use encrypted GPS signals including Drones. Second all Cell towers to have GPS terrestrial triangulation receivers to deploy the police quickly and arrest the trash. Lastly all GPS chips to have sales limited and tracked.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Great another a-hole found a way to hack something.[/citation]

If by A-hole, you mean a security researcher who is interested in uncovering a vulnerability and publishing a synopsis of it to draw attention to the need for action before it's discovered by someone with malicious intentions and used to do serious harm...

then yeah, what a jerk...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I always trust my GPS, for example with my iphone, I found that I could get to work faster by taking the Brooklyn bridge across the english channel in order to get into the L.A. metropolitan area during rush hour.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
well that's why there's GLONASS, plus the article says that the problem is not with GPS itself but with the receiver devices, it's like saying a CPU is flawed because you're running a flawed OS

They became 'jerks' and 'a-holes' the second they published the actual wiring Diagram & How To in their (public) PDF; see page 5 - http://users.ece.cmu.edu/~dbrumley/courses/18487-f12/readings/Nov28_GPS.pdf . Why don't you rely on a tad more than this excerpt.

NOW!!! -- anyone else can easily follow their spoofing...yeah what a help!!

Q - will you still be laughing once a airplane, drone, and/or etc kills an innocent person?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]I always trust my GPS, for example with my iphone, I found that I could get to work faster by taking the Brooklyn bridge across the english channel in order to get into the L.A. metropolitan area during rush hour.[/citation]
how is that GPS?, it's called maps

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@f-14: was thinking the same thing. I have a vague recollection of some peaceful group or non-profit using drones to help people, but can't remember what it was. Regardless, I figured that Iran took down one of their drones and is showcasing that as a US military drone for press.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Q - will you still be laughing once a airplane, drone, and/or etc kills an innocent person?[/citation]Iran already captured a drone, reportedly using a remote hack to get it to land in their desert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93U.S._RQ-170_incident

Security via obscurity doesn't work and never has. It's only a big secret to those who are already exploiting it.

It makes the development process of the original engineers look quite inept when a third-party researcher can break their systems without any assistance or information from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.