News Researchers Propose Graphene Overcoats for HAMR HDD Platters

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
There are certainly merits to use graphene here, but in doing so, it will drive prices up. Graphene is not cheap to begin with.
In 10 years it might be a lot cheaper, plus as far as I understand the coating does not require one uninterrupted lattice(which is very hard to achieve now), the coating could probably work with bits of graphene(which is comparatively cheap now).

D

Deleted member 431422

... they will have to handle extreme temperatures for long durations.

Heat dissipation might be a problem. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I wonder how they will deal with cooling.

InvalidError

Titan
There are certainly merits to use graphene here, but in doing so, it will drive prices up. Graphene is not cheap to begin with.
The cost of graphene depends on the size, uniformity and purity of flakes you need.

Graphene is the main component in pencil leads (you write/draw when the lead sheds graphene flecks that wedge themselves between paper fibers) and one pencil probably contains more graphene than necessary to manufacture one HDD.

Unless HDDs have strict Goldilocks graphene requirements, graphene shouldn't be a major cost driver. The process to give platters a uniform coating and get it to stick could be a different story.

kawmic

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
Why keep on developing hdd's?? SSD is here to stay! HDD is filled with <Mod Edit> moving parts. DROP IT!!

Last edited by a moderator: