News Researchers store multiple bits of data in diamond defects by encoding across different light frequencies, achieving a data density of 25GB per squ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2023
The cited articlein Nature says 21Gb in^-2, not 25GB in^-2. Note B vs b is a factor of 8 and you are rounding up 21 to 25 to get an exaggeration of a factor more than 9.

Why is it that almost every article I read here appears as if the author hasn't even read the original article and is making up stuff?

A few days ago you didn't bother to read the article about TSMC contract with intel, and weeks ago exaggerated the performance of some chip by orders of magnitude. Please find writers who can actually read and quote other articles correctly.

Kind of reminds me of what they have been doing with diamond photonics as well. Basically the diamond defects, group IV colour centres—namely the Si-, Ge-, Sn- and Pb-vacancies.

However, NV− centre has been the most popular one due to its photo-physical properties.

Dec 7, 2023
Among the other errors in this article, this stands out:
since blue strands are finer, you can print four of them in the same space you would need for two red strands
I don't know what a "strand" of light is or how it is "printed", but the wavelength of a Blu Ray laser is 405nm, compared to 640nm for a (red) DVD. That gives just a ~50% increase in data density; the rest is due to the more advanced data compression techniques used.

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
Among the other errors in this article, this stands out:

I don't know what a "strand" of light is or how it is "printed", but the wavelength of a Blu Ray laser is 405nm, compared to 640nm for a (red) DVD. That gives just a ~50% increase in data density; the rest is due to the more advanced data compression techniques used.
In the comments under another story, it was assumed that some of the news were not written by a person but by a chatbot, and therefore, along with the true data, there are also some hallucinated and untrue ones.

Reactions: Tanakoi

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
This general idea, storing data in transparent/semi-transparent/translucent materials, has been tried before and they haven't been able to make it commercially viable. Moving to more exotic materials probably won't help that. Some day?

Status
Not open for further replies.