Researchers Suggest That Semiconductors Can be Grown Instead of Printed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I want to become a semiconductor farmer. I can nurture my little babies to full growth before they're ready for the big wide world of processing.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
This is a very interesting development. Eventually this may lead to 5nm architectures or smaller. It may make the manufacturing process less expensive as well... after the retooling.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Groundrat[/nom]This is a very interesting development. Eventually this may lead to 5nm architectures or smaller. It may make the manufacturing process less expensive as well... after the retooling.[/citation]

They can already do 5nm................ and smaller as well at least in prototype.

What it should be able to do....... is allow much smaller companies to get into the game. Instead of needing a billion dollar facility to print wafers, a much smaller company could grow them.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I think agnickolov has the right idea. Segments of DNA are used to make proteins all the time. If we could harness a similar concept to grow / construct clusters of atoms onto substrates, we could grow CPUs with smaller scale and more predictable behavior than the current methods will ever allow. Unfortunately, it took nature quite a while to get the process down right, and also to figure out what order to put the building blocks in to get the desired result.

Status
Not open for further replies.