Researchers Turn Graphene into Photo Detector Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I must admit I've stopped reading articles about what revolutionary thing graphene can be used for.

Graphene's the bees knees. We get it. Now show us some products based on it.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Would someone please.... please... please...Proofread this crap....[/citation]

I was just going to post something along these lines.

A first grader can write better than these so-called "professionals", and I use that word lightly!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
If graphene still has to sit on a layer of gold electrodes and nano crystals, how is it better then existing sensors? Are they just easier to manufacture and cost less? That is what I'm thinking.

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]If graphene still has to sit on a layer of gold electrodes and nano crystals, how is it better then existing sensors? Are they just easier to manufacture and cost less? That is what I'm thinking.[/citation]

It might still be thinner than contemporary photo sensors, despite the gold electrodes and the nano crystals increasing it's thickness compared to a single layer of graphene.

[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Perhaps graphene is wonderful in a lab... Trying to mass produce graphene whateveryouwantittobe is a different story.[/citation]
Isn't graphene made from pencil lead using adhesive tape as the only tool? So, for a factory, you would just need big pencils and huge rolls of tape. );

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Isn't graphene made from pencil lead using adhesive tape as the only tool? So, for a factory, you would just need big pencils and huge rolls of tape. );[/citation]

Pencil lead is graphite.

I know. There was a wonderful story about isolating graphene from graphite using only Scotch tape. It was part of the research that won the Nobel prize in Physics in 2010. http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2010/speedread.html
It appears that you smear some graphite on a piece of Scotch tape. Put another piece of tape over it and separate them. This pulls layers apart.

Repeat until all the pencil lead stays on one or the other piece of tape. You now have fragments of single-plane arrangements of carbon atoms, or graphene.

I was joking about scaling that process up to industrial levels, using immense pencils and immense rolls of tape.

Huh, learn something new every day. I don't remember hearing about that.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Graphene display panel! OMG, one atom thick graphic display![/citation]
In most cases theres enough room for .5m fatter (lol dont know the word). So yeah even 5cm is over-everything for normal needs

Status
Not open for further replies.