[SOLVED] Reselling Win 10 Pro OEM machines

Tutoh1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Hello,
In my office removals work, I managed to get some 3rd gen Dell Optiplex's and Vostro's. One Vostro actually performs pretty well for last year's games.
I've been preparing to sell them on as office machines and budget PCs but I can't seem to find a straight answer on what to expect with the Windows 10 Professional OEM licenses they have.
As a seller, I can set a price where I can say that I've thoroughly tested the parts and I won't replace anything that suddenly goes faulty. I can also say that I will install no software and that virus protection is the buyers' responsibility.
I can't figure out what to do about the licenses.
I've spoken to some people who have sold ex-business OEM machines to friends and there has been no sudden de-activations of their Windows licenses. This seems to say that it's okay to pass these machines onto others.
Folks here say that they would never ever sell a machine with a license that they did not source themselves, so as to stay with the Windows 10 EULA.
So what happens if you remove a Professional OEM license from an ex-business machine? Can it be done? Can you then activate it with a Home edition license you found on a thrown-out 2nd Gen Intel NUC that still activates today?
Can you put on a new OEM license that you buy online?
I feel like I'm overlooking something horrifically serious here and I can't grasp what it is.

Lutfij

Titan
The license is tied to the motherboard's BIOS, last I checked, the only way you're removing said license is by replacing the BIOS chip with a new one. I stand to be corrected though :) I also recall that system's from offices need to be scrapped...like destroyed, though that might vary from office to office.

Reactions: Tutoh1

Tutoh1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
I've wondered if there's an issue if I add one of these Professional OEMs to my Microsoft Account. I've just tried that and it's added itself just fine. There's nothing in the device's information to suggest it belongs to anyone.

edit: All the HDD drives are removed from these machines and I've formatted the drives I've put in, so I'm guessing that counts as destroyed.

USAFRet

Titan
To sell, you remove that license and system from your account.
Do a full wipe and reinstall, creating just a single Local account...the system offline during the install.

The new owner will then link it to his account.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...10-on-it/cce23fed-bc37-46bb-9b8c-5da9efe7cb65

The new owner should, of course, do his own full wipe and reinstall after it is activated, just to be on the safe side.

Solution