Resetting My Modem Causes Windows 7 Crash

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Unfortunately, my DSL modem (with wireless connectivity built in) is crashing multiple times a week, so I'm constantly unplugging & replugging it in. I'll probably have to get a new one soon, but the resetting creates a huge issue.

When I reset the modem, other devices recognize the modem being powered back on and will automatically connect to the modem, and to the Internet. However, my Windows 7 laptop, using a wireless connection, does not recognize that the modem has been repowered on. The laptop will also not allow me to refresh the wireless network list in the system tray. It just sits there with no entries. The network troubleshooter also doesn't refresh the connection; it thinks that the modem is still powered down.

The only recourse is to reboot, after which it does reconnect to the modem. But, worst of all, when I shutdown Windows 7, it hangs on the "Shutting Down..." screen, and the only way to regain control of the laptop is to hold down the power switch to force power down to the laptop, then turn it back on again.

Is there a way to force Windows to recognize the fact that the wireless modem is back on and functional to my home network and the Internet, since the refresh button on the system tray applet for the Network does nothing? Or perhaps, if I have to reboot, is there a way for a more graceful reboot?

By the way, Windows says my wireless adapter driver is up-to-date. It's the Atheros AR5B125 Network Wireless Adapter on an Acer Laptop, version 9.2.0.480. Thanks ahead for any help.

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

Unfortunately, neither any dump files were created anywhere on the system partition, nor was any event created in the system event log (under any heading). I have no idea what Windows did, but I'm sorry, there's nothing to upload.

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

That's the button that does nothing when I click it...it doesn't refresh anything.

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

Just did that, the hard drive came back OK. Also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic, just in case, also came back OK. Are there any further steps or do I just wait for this thing to bomb and pitch it?

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

I have a Toshiba hard drive, but I was able to find a relatively appropriate WD diagnostic utility. It returned with no errors, plus all of the SMART indicators returned OK. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks again.

bthomas1

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

After all of the scanning and getting no positives on those scans, and the issue continuing to occur, I reinstalled Windows 7...also no help, it's not a system file corruption or other general Windows 7 issue.

I thought it might be the WiFi adapter card, the Atheros AR5B125, as reported in Device Manager. After some searching, I found that this model of card has significant issues. An Amazon reviewer described this issue EXACTLY. In 802.11g mode, even slight interference causes a sudden drop in connection. The inability of Windows to shut down wasn't mentioned, but, as I said, a Windows reinstall does not help, so I've eliminated that possibility.

I'm going to try another Atheros card, as they're cheap enough, around $10-12. If this doesn't work, there are a number of Intel replacements, around $30, that overcome this issue, at least according to reviewers. So, hopefully one of these cards this will resolve this issue.