resetting under load

Jimdog0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I just got my new pc running last night. The bios froze a couple times while trying to get The os installed but I haven't had any issues since getting the os working and getting the drivers updated. My issue is under load. I ran prime95 and about 30 seconds to a minute in the pc restarted. It did the same in dirt 4 with the gpu running full blast but the processor wasn't running hard. It only happened in those 2 cases. I played fallout 4 for a couple minutes and it was buttery smooth. Then I ran prime 95 for a couple minutes and tried dirt 4 again with no issues. The computer boots quick after the bios gets done doing its thing. I watched temps using hwmonitor while running these programs. The gpu went to 62c and stayed there. The cpu never reported much of a temp increase. It stayed at about 35c. Should I be looking at the psu of just consider it a fluke?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jimdog/saved/Pv6nQ7

Solution
Turns out the os got corrupted. I had to do a system restore back to Monday. Then the bios wouldn't even load. Did a come reset this morning and it was still ok idling after an hour when I left home. I'm going to guess the power supply is the root of the problem still. I guess I'll start looking on newegg for a better one.

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Definitely sounds like a failing power supply. With previous experience with failing psu, depending on how far gone it is doing a proper power cycle may help temperately. If this happens to make the pc stay on for a significantly longer time than it was then that will isolate the psu as the problem.

Jimdog0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I ran my computer all day yesterday. I got 1 blue screen that said windows needs to shut down. But it wasn't a hard reset. The hard drive and memory scan came up ok though. I did run prime 95 again and it didn't have any issues in half an hour. The furmark test also went ok. The gpu hit about 65c and the gpu hit about 45c. I didn't have issues running both tests at the same time either.

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
The blue screen that you got should have displayed an error code do you know what that is? Also you mentioned your issue was only underload but what is actualy happening? Crash? BSOD? Freeze? does it give any type of error message?

Jimdog0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I don't know what the error code was. I haven't had any more of the sudden restarts even playing gta v. But when it did happen it was just like the power switch got turned off. No warning screens.

Jimdog0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
My issue is back. I tried overclocking and prime 95 ram for 30 minutes at 3.5thx before resetting. I bumped voltage up some and got 15 minutes then reset the default settings and it still shuts down after 10-15 minutes even idling. I ran memtest86 for 4 hours last night no problem. No errors. I am going to run a windows system check tonight and try a different outlet. If that doesn't work I am going to get a new psu tomorrow. I hope it's not the mobo.

Jimdog0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Turns out the os got corrupted. I had to do a system restore back to Monday. Then the bios wouldn't even load. Did a come reset this morning and it was still ok idling after an hour when I left home. I'm going to guess the power supply is the root of the problem still. I guess I'll start looking on newegg for a better one.

Solution