Resolution, CPU and GPU

satyamdubey

Distinguished
I've heard it many times that at lower resolution the cpu is taxed more by a game and at higher ones it is the GPU. this often forms the basis of finding a sweet spot resolution on your monitor where you get the maximum out of your hard ware.

but why is it so? what is happening at the lower resolutions that makes the cpu work harder? and how does that load mitigate as you increase the resolution?

thanks all

-satyam

satyamdubey

Distinguished

I should have clarified this earlier. I even want to know what does cpu working harder mean? that it engages turbo more often or that one would see higher % utilization?

Groomer

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
It is as simple as this; At lower resolution your GPU can render more FPS. The more FPS your game runs at, the more work is simply required by the CPU in order to keep up.

This is only to a limited extent, as many of the CPU related tasks run independent of FPS, in order to keep a stable timescale.

The only reason for limiting your resolution should be your monitor, GPU, or game simply not allowing a higher resolution. Leave your CPU out of it.