resolution vs colors

G

Always have highest resolution before high color bit! Debate

my reason is at highest resolution you could see the bad guys come from the sides or top earlier, but if you have low/medium resolution with high color it would not save your life in games.

Best regards
cx5

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think that depends on the game

In the old original Red alert, you could see 4 times the terrain at 640x480 then at 320x240...
however, with new games, all you're adding up is the detail -- you should see the same thing in UT for example at 640x480 as at 1024x768. It would get ridiculous otherwise, what would happen if you crank it up to 1600x1200 -- you could see behind yourself? :)
In some games you can choose narrow or wide camera (in all resolutions), but otherwise, the field of view should be more or less independent of resolution...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (with concrete examples in games and a pointer that its true of games in general... individual examples may or may not be indicative of general market:)

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is definetely easier to snipe when your target isn't a few blurry pixels...and that goes for all 3D-shooters. A higher resolution makes it easier to point things out at a distance. Period. I do think that 800x600 is sufficient in most cases, though.

I don't quite see how a higher resolution can help you see things from the side or top...unless you're talking about strategy games like Red Alert, Total Annihilation, Age Of Empires and so on...
In these cases a higher resolution gives you a larger view of the battlefield which gives you a great advantage.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what would Original Red Alert look like at 1600x1200? Would we even SEE the little infantry guys? :)

I actually still play red Alert in 320x240... call me a masohist:(

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I play my games at 1280 x 960, and I find that the games look much better at higher resolutions. Basically you don't need high FSAA to get the jaggies away because the high resolution practically does it for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts