Question Resolved Issue: PC wouldn't POST with 2 DIMMs ?

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
My PC is able to boot to Windows now, but I am trying to understand the issue I encountered.

After I updated my GPU driver via intel ARC Control to the latest version, I rebooted my computer, and it would not POST. The DRAM and CPU lights were on in the Motherboard's POST status checker. I left it for hours, and tried restarting it. I tried removing the CMOS battery and RAM to reset it. Finally, I was able to boot after removing the DIMM from the B2 Slot, and booting with only one DIMM in the A2. After that, I tried replacing the second DIMM, but was unable to boot with 2 DIMMs. I decided to test if the second DIMM was having an issue, so I put that one into the A2 slot, and was able to boot with it.

Finally, I put the first DIMM back in the B2 slot, and now I am able to boot with no issue. Long story short, I was able to boot after swapping the RAM sticks. Although the issue is resolved, I would like to underdstand what happened. Any help will be appreciated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning AM5 ATX Mainboard
RAM: D564GB 5200-36 Ripjaws S5 bk K2 GSK | F5-5200J3636D32GX2-RS5K 2x32GB
Storage: SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280
GPU: Intel A770 16GB

Last edited:
Sounds like it might have been something wonky with the memory training on first boot. Typically after pulling the CMOS, it can take up to 1 minute for it to boot for that very purpose.

Monitor it and you should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS