[SOLVED] (Resolved )My computer won't turn off. How do i change this?

Dec 11, 2022
I have an HP Pavilion p7-1517cb pc, no matter what i do it won't turn off. Go to windows start and tell it to shut down and it shuts down then immediately reboots, hold the power button down till it shuts off and it shuts down untill you take finger off the switch and it reboots. After it started acting up i installed a new power supply then a new hard drive with completely fresh install of windows 10, same thing happens....... What is going on ?

Try unplugging the power switch on the front of the case where it plugs into the motherboard, and then try shutting it down via the start menu options. A stuck switch may not allow it to turn off.

It could also simply be a faulty motherboard or power supply.

What was the model of the old power supply and what is the model of the new one?

Dec 11, 2022
Try unplugging the power switch on the front of the case where it plugs into the motherboard, and then try shutting it down via the start menu options. A stuck switch may not allow it to turn off.

It could also simply be a faulty motherboard or power supply.

What was the model of the old power supply and what is the model of the new one?
Ive actually replaced the power switch also thinking it may have been stuck. I'm not sure about original versus replacement power supply as this started about 3 or 4 years ago and that was the first thing i did. This was my moms computer and shortly after this problem started dementia hit her and she couldnt even use it anymore so its been in storage for several years now.

Well, those systems used incredibly cheap motherboards and are now like 9-10 years old. It is not unrealistic to think that at anything over three or four years a system like that, or any system really, but especially when extremely low end boards are used, might develop problems with the motherboard.

Is there an adapter being used to convert from a standard ATX power supply connector to a proprietary HP connector of any kind?

Dec 11, 2022
Well, those systems used incredibly cheap motherboards and are now like 9-10 years old. It is not unrealistic to think that at anything over three or four years a system like that, or any system really, but especially when extremely low end boards are used, might develop problems with the motherboard.

Is there an adapter being used to convert from a standard ATX power supply connector to a proprietary HP connector of any kind?
No adapter for power supply, and the original power suppy was doung same thing.