Response Time question on LCD's ?

jg1234

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
Folks,

I have a follow up to a previous post. In regards to LCD response times. Bare with me - monitor specs always confuse me

I understand that a 30ms response time means 1/0.030 - 33 images per second.

My specs (Sony SDM-S81) say that I have a rise time of 20ms and a fall time of 10ms. That means it should be a good LCD for gaming.

Most folks say it is not. I am not arguing just trying to understand why. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
There are several further aspects to response time. That given by the manufacturer (30ms in your case) is the time it takes to go from white to black, and black to white (ie, your rise and fall times). However, lcd's have to go to grey most of the time, as colors aren't say 100% black and 100% white all the time, but rather there are shades, and a lesser voltage is applied to teh cells to achieve this grey median, but takes longer to respond. This then can take very long. That's an issue w/ LCD's, and also the rise time is 20ms which can lead to some annoyances with not very bright/clear colors in fast motion.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

Kurtz

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
Don't know about the technicalities of all this stuff, but I've just bought an Iiyama with a response time of 35, and I can't see any evidence of ghosting on RTCW, for example.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
RTCW is a pretty dark game, and there was no noticeable ghosting w/ a 40ms LCD. Try something that really has contrasts.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

nanyangview

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
too dark until i got nightmare from that game
I hate the underground tomb mission and the last few one in the castle. After playing it and sleeping, those mummies pop up in my head

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
lol, I beat it in a few hours, so it was out of my head pretty quick (that's teh bad part of demos, u lear how to play). Good game though. Try GTA3:)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
2 years ago: 12 o'clock at night, 15 speaker system, 19" CRT, played Halflife, and that scared the living hell out of me. Try going to sleep after that, especially when u hear something outside.

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Aye, I loved HL, that game was great. Too bad the later levels (final boss) sort of declined in sweetness. As for RTCW, I think in one of the earlier dungeon levels, at one point I heard a knocking on one of the walls of the hallway. Of course, I wandered over to get a better listen, I even turned my character POV so I could hear it just thru my right ear. Anyway, at that point, a mummy decided to burst thru the wall right where the tapping sound was. LOL, I think I actually jumped up and screamed, now that was great gaming :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts