Question Restart issues with new Z690 / i7 12700k

Collective15

Commendable
Jun 13, 2020
Hi, I recently upgraded from a Gigabyte Aorus z390 / Intel i7 9700k to an Asus Tuff Gaming Z690 / Intel i7 12700k from Microcenter. I've built over 120 computers, so I'm very familiar with the process. While updating my drivers via Asus Armory Crate, Windows 10 "Check for Updates", and Geforce Experience, I was often required to restart. Once my downloads were at a completion point, I did so, as I have with hundreds of other computers. As it was restarting, I encountered two errors:

1. The screen was split in half. As I have a 4k display, I am running two DP cords from my 3090 to my 4k Predator monitor. I found an online listing showing that if you turn on HDR via the windows setting, then this issue happens. I tried it, and it was correct, but it wasn't enabled when I first had the issue. I obviously disabled the setting, tried to restart, and again had the split screen error while restarting. The issue will sometimes persist through bios, but never to the start screen. If the issue doesn't affect the start screen, then it doesn't bother me.... But this might be indicative of another problem...? Not sure. My card is running at default settings with no OC.

2. My computer will simply boot to a black screen. Most of the time, the light sequence on my motherboard indicates that nothing is going wrong! I see it cycle through CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT which typically results in the green boot light, and three black screens for me. This is my main issue. Why am I seeing the green boot light, but then no start screen? I'll sometimes see the motherboard logo, then again a black screen.

My idea for this is that I'm struggling with stability. I tried using the motherboard preset x2 Extreme OC setting and my ram at 3600mhz. Surely with my hardware, I could handle it! With multiple issues posting, I power cycled my machine, then changed the bios to the extreme OC setting. It seemed "less" buggy? but I can't really quantify that. While restarting, my DRAM light came on, and again no post (but this time no green boot light). My ram works! So I don't know why this would be an issue with a new z690 board. Maybe a bad ram slot? Right now, I am testing out the sticks individually in the slots (starting with one stick at a time in slot #2), at 3200mhz.

Question: Why is my monitor showing the split screen upon startup? Also, why am I having such issues getting through post into the start screen?

System Specs:
Processor: i7 12700k
Mobo: Asus Tuff Gaming Z690
Cooler: Lian Li Gallahad 360 with 3 push, 3 pull fans
GPU: RTX 3090 Founder's Edition
Ram: x4 8gb G.Skill Trident RGB 3600mhz (total 32gb)
Storage: 2tb 980 Pro nvme, 1tb 970 nvme, & x2 1tb 860 QVO (all Samsung)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB (9 fans total)

Monitors:
  • Two 20 inch Sceptre (e20) 1600x900 75Hz
  • Acer Predator XB273K GP 4K 144hz

Collective15

Commendable
Jun 13, 2020
This is not my post, but I found this online and I have this split screen issue while the PC is booting up.

ssn5ycb5atni.jpeg

Collective15

Commendable
Jun 13, 2020
Update:

1. I have reseated ALL cables related to my 4k Predator Monitor. No change.

2. I have individually tested all four sticks in slot #2, and all work well! Even at 3600mhz, it's stable. I have mixed and matched variations of 2 out of the 4 sticks, put them in slots 2 and 4, and have stability; again at base 2133 and 3600mhz. I also tried these configurations in slot 1 and 3, with repeated success.

3. ALL of my issues seem to come in when I plug in all four sticks. After plugging in all four, I had the following issues:
  • TWO Blue Screen Error codes ("PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA") AND ("0xc0000221" from File: \windows\System32\Drivers\ntfs.sys)
  • The right half of my screen loaded in every time, but only that half! And, it stretched across the entire screen.
  • Changing the ram speed didn't seem to make a difference in performance or stability.

I'm seeing a few issues with Ram and this board online. I did confirm that mine is compatible.
F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

Last edited: