Restarted computer during Windows 10 update, cannot try to update again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macaronipls

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Today I started the Windows 10 update, and when it reached 84% (Configuring settings 36%), it just froze that way for about an hour.

I figured it's not gonna move anytime soon so I decided to hit the restart button on my PC to try and update again, but this time I was asked to "activate Windows 7" before updating.
It didn't ask that before, and I'm required to enter my Windows 7 product key, which I have no idea about.

Is there a way I can resume my Windows 10 update without activating? My product key cannot be found. :(

Solution
Hello Macaronipls

If you had a genuine copy of Windows 7 on your PC, you can Restore Windows 7 back to an earlier restore point to get it back up and running normally. Once this is done, you can restart the upgrade process.

Also, if you are upgrading your Windows online, you can drop that idea for now and Download an ISO Image, burn the image on a blank DVD or create a USB bootable drive, and upgrade to Windows 10 in offline mode.

Hope this helps. :)
Hello Macaronipls

If you had a genuine copy of Windows 7 on your PC, you can Restore Windows 7 back to an earlier restore point to get it back up and running normally. Once this is done, you can restart the upgrade process.

Also, if you are upgrading your Windows online, you can drop that idea for now and Download an ISO Image, burn the image on a blank DVD or create a USB bootable drive, and upgrade to Windows 10 in offline mode.

Hope this helps. :)

Solution

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

You will still need to start the upgrade from within Windows 7 until your are able to complete the upgrade successfully and Windows 10 activates. Do not attempt a bootable USB/DVD install until you have successfully upgraded once.

Macaronipls

Reputable
May 10, 2015

Hey viveknayyar007,

I tried following the system restore instructions, but I don't seem to have any available restore points to roll back to.
I am, in fact, able to create one of the current situation I'm in. Does this mean my copy of Windows might not be genuine? :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.