Restarting once after power on.

Oct 15, 2018
Hi guys.

I recently upgraded motherboards to an Asus Prime X470 Pro and am having this annoying issue: When I power on the PC for the first time, the fans and HDD spin up during POST but then I get two very short beeps. It then restarts, POSTS properly and boots into windows fine.

I suspected a faulty RAM stick but I've run several tests with windows memory diagnostics tool, which is showing no errors on any stick in any DIMM slot (tried all possible combinations, and I can't get anything but a faultless result. I'm running a 4x4GB setup and I don't get the beeps if I use 1,2 or 3 sticks, but it always restarts regardless of the RAM configuration.

What's strange is that if I shutdown the PC but leave the PSU switched on, it will boot first time the next time I power it up with no beeps and no restart.

I've checked all cables and made sure they're all plugged into the correct places and reset the BIOS to defaults. I've not tried reseating the CPU cooler, but as my temps are fine in games I don't think it could be that.

Games and applications all run well, and I'm not getting any CTD or BSODs but as this board doesn't have a digital code display or even LEDS I'm struggling to find the cause of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

i had this problem for years on end, I think it was my mobo didn't like my 4x4 ram setup either, like the ram isn't getting charged properly on boot is what I thought. It lasted as a workhorse for about 10 years. the cpu died and that was it one day. but I never did figure it out. best of luck.

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply. I think you're right that it doesn't like all RAM slots being used, as that's the only time it beeps. But it does the restart every time, even if I use 2 sticks in A2 and B2 like the manual suggests. If yours lasted so long it's probably nothing to worry about, just a bit annoying as I like everything running properly.

I might try another PSU if I can borrow one.

Oct 15, 2018
Well I've not stopped the restarting, but removing the Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB and installing a new Barracuda 2TB has stopped the beeping when all DIMMs are populated. Curious, but this must be something to do with power draw on startup.