[SOLVED] Restarting PC causes it to freeze at BIOS logo screen, but booting from shutdown works fine ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kioharumi

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
My experience with booting from fresh installed windows 10, (both storage have windows 10) :

1) SATA SSD + Default win 10 M.2 inside boot : not fix, still have freeze error when restarting

2) SATA SSD Only (m.2 remove) : got error
"Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application of operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors

File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Error code 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or

PC/Device manufacturer

Press Enter to try again Press F8 for Startup Settings"

I Press enter & f8, screen refreshed, but nothing happen. Also, i have insert back windows 10 installation pen drive, but the recovery screen also did not do nothing. I boot into uefi windows 10 installation pendrive, it also can't fix any error.

I believe this had happened to me when the first time i build this amd ryzen pc. I try to dirty boot old windows desktop m.2 drive from intel system & this same thing happened. Only fresh install can fix this. But when it fixed, there's that restarting issue occurs. Super weird & strange

3) Fresh install again into SATA SSD, No m.2 drive installed inside motherboard : restarting seems to work fine?

As of now, I'm updating the fresh install win 10 in sata ssd, everything works perfect?

5) Now, I'm going to remove default boot windows 10 OS M.2 ssd, & use ONLY other different fresh installed m.2 ssd gen 3 and show result here : RESTARTING Works?!

6) After this I'm going to switch m.2 ssd with default windows 10, on same slot, & see if it's still ok : & Nope, this drive is probably the culprit, as when this drive is installed, restarting freeze & stuck at bios boot rog logo always occur.

So the culprit is actually indeed the original boot drive? Previously i tested with different m.2 storage ssd but both m.2 ssd is in the motherboard, & problem still persist. Now, after i remove it from the motherboard, & only fresh install windows 10 on other ssd it works fine & no issue on restarting boot freeze....

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
# RAM : Trident Z Royal Silver, DDR4-4000MHz CL16-16-16-36 1.40V, 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung B-Die, F4-4000C16D-32GTRS, Stable Fclk 1933MHz, RAM 3866MHz
Your ram runs with a little overclock? Might wan to undo that. See if it helps. Sorry you run under spec. What timings does it run with the 3866mhz? Sure that is stable? Relates to the Fclock too.

kioharumi

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
Your ram runs with a little overclock? Might wan to undo that. See if it helps. Sorry you run under spec. What timings does it run with the 3866mhz? Sure that is stable? Relates to the Fclock too.

Yes, it's stable. All the info i got is from dram calculator, already stress test it with aida64 for like 8 hours.

kioharumi

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
I have cancelled my PSU purchase as it seems my m.2 storage is the culprit.

Now, I'm going to buy Samsung 980 Pro ssd 1TB & see if this issue is fix. Tq guys for ur kind help, appreciated it.

kioharumi

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
Here's my experience installing ubuntu :

6) error appear after press enter:
[ 1.185605] gpio gpiochip1: (gpio_aaeon): tried to insert a GPIO chip with zero lines

[ 1.185611] gpiochip_add_data_with_key: GPIOS 0..-1 (gpio_aaeon) failed to register, -22

2.883437] hid-generic 0003:2F96:0200.0005: No inputs registered, leaving

[ 4.264902] nouveau 0000:0a:00.0: DRM: core notifier timeout

45) restart ubuntu, error appear :
60.183046) systemd-shutdown [1]: Waiting for process: systemd-udevd, systemd-udevd 64.726385] systemd-udevd [527]: 5-3.3:1.0: worker [546) processing SEQNUM-4518 is taking a long time

I wonder if this error is normal in ubuntu? Or this error occurs due to faulty windows 10 m.2 drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems if I were more awake last night I would have chased why the 2 Kingston drives weren't working with the software. You had said Crystaldiskinfo said they were good but software can't seem to find physical problems with ssd, I seen it before where a ssd says it works fine but replacing it fixes the problem

I helped another guy yesterday with hdd slowing boot, I guess I have to extend it to ssd but it makes sense for same reason, PC is waiting for it to reply and it obviously doesn't always do it.

I think GPIO is actually part of motherboard chip set. I know in windows there are drives from AMD called GPIO with various numbers after them depending on boards.
gpio - general purpose input output - I don't know Ubuntu all that well but that might just be a missing driver?

45) restart ubuntu, error appear :
60.183046) systemd-shutdown [1]: Waiting for process: systemd-udevd, systemd-udevd 64.726385] systemd-udevd [527]: 5-3.3:1.0: worker [546) processing SEQNUM-4518 is taking a long time

I can't find enough to know what this error refers to. i will see if another mod does.
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-udevd.service.html listens to kernel but really that doesn't tell us a lot

Reactions: kioharumi
Jan 15, 2022
I have windows installed on the same m.2 SSD as yours and the same problem. I have arch linux installed on another m.2 sdd (Kingston SA2000) and everything works fine so I think the problem is SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS