Question Restarting PC Occasionally Locks Up

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I'm having a weird quirk (ever since my latest reinstall of Windows 11) that only happens at restart. 95% of the time, I have no troubles restarting. But on occasion, when the system restarts to the point right before you would normally see the BIOS logo, it locks up. If I hit the reset button on the case, it then loads fine. This also never happens at shutdown.

I know this is one of those "It could be a million things" kinda problems, so here is as much info as I know to provide (and can give more if needed):
  • Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22631 Build 22631
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core Processor (3.70 GHz)
  • G15DK Motherboard 1.0 (most up-to-date bios installed)
  • 64GB Ram (tried multiple sticks, and it happens on any/all of them)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • Two Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 3 Extra Internal SATA Hard Drives
  • 700w power supply
  • USB Devices - Mouse, Keyboard and RPG Mouse Pad
  • Fast Boot Turned Off (in both Windows 11 and my BIOS)
  • Page File Clears at Shut Down (via a reg key provided by Windows11 Forums)

Last edited:
I'm having a weird quirk (ever since my latest reinstall of Windows 11) that only happens at restart. 95% of the time, I have no troubles restarting. But on occasion, when the system restarts to the point right before you would normally see the BIOS logo, it locks up. If I hit the reset button on the case, it then loads fine. This also never happens at shutdown.

I know this is one of those "It could be a million things" kinda problems, so here is as much info as I know to provide (and can give more if needed):
  • G15DK Motherboard 1.0 (most up-to-date bios installed)
  • 64GB Ram (tried multiple sticks, and it happens on any/all of them)
  • Two Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 3 Extra Internal SATA Hard Drives
  • 700w power supply

are all the sticks the exact same ram as in did it come in a actual kit

make and model of power supply

also your cpu cooler.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Just to follow up on this...

I tried Clean Boot, but didn't provide any insight. I knew that might be a long shot, as I only run the minimal services I need at start up anyway. Pretty much my antivirus, my dock I use for folders, my mouse/keyboard software, a sandbox program and Plex Media Server. I also make sure there aren't any unnecessary Windows services active either.

Here is a more detailed breakdown of all my hardware that I've been able to research since my initial post, which I hope might help further in the troubleshooting. Should also cover the two new inquiries above...
  • Wraith Prism AMD RBG LED AM4 Copper Core Base & Aluminum Heatsink with 4.13 inch fan
  • ASUS AMD B550 AM4 Micro ATX Motherboard (Model Prime B550M-K)
  • Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 3200mhz C16-20-20-40 DDR PC4-25600 (4x16gb sticks = 64gb total)
  • 2x Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 4 Internal SATA Hard Drives (2x NAS Drives, 2x Standard = 6x Drives Total)
  • Great Wall e750 750w 80Plus Gold ATX 12v power supply
  • Fast Boot Turned Off (in both Windows 11 and my BIOS)
  • Page File Clears at Shut Down (via a reg key provided by Windows11 Forums)
I do have one thought. Could it be one of the drives not getting enough power?

On my power supply, I only have one SATA power cable, which comes equipped with three SATA connectors. The first, I have running to my fan control board on the back of my motherboard. The other two are split (meaning I turn two into four). So on the second SATA connector, I have a splitter I'm running two drives from. On the third/last SATA connector, I have another splitter, which I'm running another two drives from.

So that's a total of 5x things on that one chord. Could I be overwhelming it? Or should it be able to handle that?