Restarting PC takes forever. 2:29 for a restart :/

Corsair1

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Not sure whats going on with my PC, but for the past few months it's been taking my PC at least 2 1/2 minutes for my PC to do a restart. I've been working a lot lately so I didn't have time to look into it. I finally had some time off and have been searching relentlessly to find a fix for this to no avail. I have tried reinstalling drivers, but that made no difference. I did an energy report and it came up with 3 errors and 2 warnings. These errors are...

Analysis Results
Errors
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Input Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_0461&PID_4D15
Port Path 2
Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
Device Drivers:
Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.
Device Name Insyde Airplane Mode HID Mini-Driver
Device ID ACPI\PNPC000\1
Device Status 0x1802400
Device Problem Code 0x16

And the warnings are...

Warnings
Platform Timer Resolution:platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 10007
Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156250
Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 8480
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

I'm not sure what to make of the above results. I have tried installing another Insyde Airplane mode driver. Didn't help.

My computer is decently powerful. Specs are as follows.

it's a Clevo/Sager body
CPU - 5700HQ
Ram - 8 gigs
HD - 512GB M.2. Sata
GPU - GTX 970M
OS - Windows 10 PRO

I have also loaded defaults in the bios.Nothing. I did notice that when I did my last reformat, that I installed Windows 10 in Legacy mode not UEFI as for I had windows 7 on here when I bought the PC. Note... The motherboard was designed for windows 10. Eluktronics sent it at my request with windows 7. At that time I wasn't yet ready to make the switch to windows 10. Wondering if the Legacy mode/Windows 10 has something to do with this restart prob?

I was thinking of doing another reformat in UEFI mode, but didn't feel like going through that process again, unless it's recommended here.

Any info would be very much appreciated as for I'm not sure what to do besides another reformat in UEFI mode and "hope" that fixes it. But that's a lot of work for a hopeful solution.

Thanks,
Chris

Solution
I was going to say that it maybe due to you having m.2 ssd and legacy mode. Most installs involving m.3 drives are UEFI mode. myself do not worry about boot speed. I do suggest moving your my documents folder to say d:/ it will be better for the ssd storage wise. I have seen to many posts with issues with these drives they are getting better though. Glad you got it fixed.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I have never seen windows 10 installed with legacy mode on. The airport driver I am not familiar with this driver. I think changing from legacy to UEFI could have fix some of the errors or make the system unstable. I myself still use win 7 till next year.

How does they system function otherwise. Has there been a win 10 updates recently?

Corsair1

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

It functions fine otherwise. Just annoying with the super long restarts. I reformatted it in Legacy mode so it won't let me switch back to UEFI in the bios. I'm guessing in order to get it back to UEFI I have to reformat it in UEFI. That's my guess anyways.

Corsair1

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hey Dave,

Just wanted to give you a heads up. I reformatted in UEFI mode and WOW! I'm booting in 15 seconds now. Not sure if that was the original problem or if it was something else, but I'm flying again. Thanks for your response.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I was going to say that it maybe due to you having m.2 ssd and legacy mode. Most installs involving m.3 drives are UEFI mode. myself do not worry about boot speed. I do suggest moving your my documents folder to say d:/ it will be better for the ssd storage wise. I have seen to many posts with issues with these drives they are getting better though. Glad you got it fixed.

Solution