Question Restore deleted partition table

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercore

Commendable
Jan 23, 2021
Hey,as topic says i want to ask.
Is is possible to restore deleted partition table from Gparted?
Im asking because my brother has played with Gparted and pressed ''Create a new partition table'' 2 or 3 times.
Now i want to restore pictures that were located at the same HDD,but the programs that i have used to restore them can't find any of those pics.

Um, no.

Gparted isn't a data recovery program. The partition tables are probably long gone by now, and there are some options left:
  • safest option: Restore from backup.
  • Unsafe (if you don't know what you're doing - but hey, the data is probably lost anyway) : Use recovery data software.
  • Safe option but expensive: Pay a data recovery company to restore any data that are possible to restore.
Be aware that big files like JPG images are often spread out on the disk platter, and that means for any file recovery software it would be impossible to reassemble those files. Therefore : Backup.

Also, if you do the ''Create a new partition table'' then this is almost the same as "Those files are dangerous for me and therefore nobody must be able to restore them" :nan:

Reactions: cybercore

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Hey,as topic says i want to ask.
Is is possible to restore deleted partition table from Gparted?
Im asking because my brother has played with Gparted and pressed ''Create a new partition table'' 2 or 3 times.
Now i want to restore pictures that were located at the same HDD,but the programs that i have used to restore them can't find any of those pics.

ive found most "free" recovery options available simply do not work. the best paid recovery option i would suggest is minitool-power data recovery https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery-software/pro-for-windows.html

recuva is decent, but misses files unless you take the time to set it all up to specifically scan for what you want.
easeUS data recovery wizard is okay, it seems to find a lot of previous data from previous partitions if it is an older hard drive that has been formatted a few times.

as for recovering the partition, im not going to say it isnt possible, but you would still loose data. i would use one of the above programs to revover data first, wipe the drive and start fresh, to deter any possible file corruption on the drive.

Reactions: cybercore
The question has to be asked. Is the drive we're talking about a spinning HD or is it an SSD?

HD: Some recovery may be possible if the drive hasn't been written to since the incident.
SSD: "It's dead Jim". Garbage collection on an SSD may have (likely has) already run and rendered any information unrecoverable.

This situation is exactly why backups are created. With such you could have been backup and running in a couple of hours or so.

Reactions: cybercore and Grobe

cybercore

Commendable
Jan 23, 2021
The question has to be asked. Is the drive we're talking about a spinning HD or is it an SSD?

HD: Some recovery may be possible if the drive hasn't been written to since the incident.
SSD: "It's dead Jim". Garbage collection on an SSD may have (likely has) already run and rendered any information unrecoverable.

This situation is exactly why backups are created. With such you could have been backup and running in a couple of hours or so.
It's a 100 % working HDD.
If only the partition table was deleted, then the free version of DMDE should be able to recover it, especially if the storage device is a HDD.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/
Here are the partitions :

https://ibb.co/hfQd5MS

Status
Not open for further replies.