Restore media win 10 new pc

VladDracule

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Im working on my new build, but one thing I didn't think about was my win 10 installation. I bought win 8 years ago, and got the free upgrade to win 10, I don't know what my key is. I will be moving the ssd that its installed on to the new machine, but may want to migrate the installation to my new SSD.

If I create restore media on my current rig, then move the hard drive and perform a system restore, will it install properly for the new hardware? its a new cpu/ram/mobo.

Is there any advantage as far as which SSD you have it installed on? This new system will have a 256 GB SSD (old one) and a new 1TB SSD I bought for installing my games on. Should I just leave it on the 256 along with other applications (i.e photoshop, office etc)

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will want to perform a clean install of Windows onto one of the SSDs. While it probably won't make any difference, I'd probably install it onto the 256GB SSD.

Before you move the drive to the new computer, be sure you reassign your Windows 10 license to your Microsoft account so you can easily move the license to the new hardware.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

-Wolf sends

VladDracule

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016

Creating the restore media via windows 10 restore options should be all I need along with transferring the license right?