Question Restored Win10 - Random Reboots - Video Card Issue

aoresteen

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2016
The SSD (M2 type) that had my Win 10 OS PC (Asus Prime Q270M-C i7 7700K Socket 1151 64GB RAM) on it died after 15 months. I replaced it & restored Win10. No issues but I started getting random Win10 reboots with no warning.

Then I lost one of my monitors. I tried everything I could find but the daily to 5 times a day my PC would reboot making using the PC difficult. Prior to the SSD taking a dive the system was rock solid.

I then bought a video card to replace my Zorac Deforece GTX1050 Ti 4GB with a GigabyteGrforce GT 730 2GB. Bang! That fixed it! No more random reboots, it is back to being rock solid. The Zotac Vido RAM must have gone bad somewhere.

So if you are getting random reboots in Win10 and can't find the culprit, swap the video card to see if that is the problem. This drove me nuts for 9 months.

Random reboots are most likely caused by using an underpowered or a poor quality PSU model. Swapping video cards is not the exact cause/reason. The TDP of the GT 730 is also less than the GTX 1050 Ti, and also requires no external power connectors.

Some GTX 1050 Ti cards do require a single 6-pin PCIE cable, if not all.

Last edited:

aoresteen

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2016
I checked the PS. It is working fine It is an Corsair CX 850 watt unit. The specs for the mobo/cpu/original video card was 650 watts; I always get a bigger PS than the 'recommended' size. I do not think that the issue was with the PS as it ran fine until the SSD then the Zotac video card had isses. A new SSD fixed the booting issues but the random re-boots kept coming. The new video card stopped the random reboots. It is back to rock solid. Neither video card needs an additional power connector. My conclusions is that the the video card was the issue.