Discussion results adding ram to Z170A plus with I7 6700K

Mar 7, 2022
Specs:https://valid.x86.fr/ta5i0u

I have recently added 2x8GB ram of the same make but different version to my 2x8GB i already had.
At first my mobo wouldn't recognize it so i switched places between my old ram and new ram, that worked.
After that i couldn't OC through OCgenie or get the 3000Mhz.
Turning on OCgenie and adjusting DRAM volt to 1.350 worked.
After that i tried getting my ram to the 3000mhz it can work at.
Using memory try it! on the samsung setting and choosing the 3000 C15 option didn't work.
Pressing F5 in bios to open XMP profiles crashed my bios, restarting default values and pressing F5 showed me differing Trfc values (shown in picture 1)
using the memory try it! profile and changing my Trfc value manually starting at highest (slowest) between the two sets and lowering it down eventually got my pc running at 410 trfc.
Trying to get my ram to work correctly after adding had me skim a lot of the forum's posts here and i thought i'd add my methodology in hope that it'll help other people out.
If i am doing anything wrong or dangerous please tell me.

timings.jpg

You are going to have to fiddle with ram settings to get it to work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

When done
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Mar 7, 2022
You are going to have to fiddle with ram settings to get it to work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

When done
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Thanks for the response. It feels nice to be sure about your settings. Yes i had to fiddle a little to make it work. I think i used HWiNFO64 to read some settings off of the ram i couldn't find in the bios to compare them and choose optimal values.
I ran a single pass with memtest86 without any problems! I'll do more passes during the night.