Retail company security work advice

Jul 19, 2021
Hi everyone I need some advice. I will be working at an optical retail company's security department in three months and I've been doing some research to prepare myself. According to my manager, my team's main task would be re-checking theft issues and focusing on internal loss prevention . However, it is quite challenging since we have more than 300 stores. There was an incident back in 2018 of an employee stealing that took the team 3 whole months looking for evidence via video playback! I've proposed to my manager that we could try using video analytics softwares and after browsing through security magazines and vendor lists from international security exhibitions, I have some of the software manufacturers in mind. But I would like ask for some suggestions and comments here first so that I have a clearer picture of what our team is looking for. First of all, are there any trustworthy VMS companies that you have heard of or perhaps worked with.? And is it possible to analyze a particular person by his/her clothing and quickly find this person within just a few seconds? Also, what is the usual price for a single channel? Last but not least, do you have any advice regarding working at a retail company or being a part of the security department? Thank you all in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone I need some advice. I will be working at an optical retail company's security department in three months and I've been doing some research to prepare myself. According to my manager, my team's main task would be re-checking theft issues and focusing on internal loss prevention . However, it is quite challenging since we have more than 300 stores. There was an incident back in 2018 of an employee stealing that took the team 3 whole months looking for evidence via video playback! I've proposed to my manager that we could try using video analytics softwares and after browsing through security magazines and vendor lists from international security exhibitions, I have some of the software manufacturers in mind. But I would like ask for some suggestions and comments here first so that I have a clearer picture of what our team is looking for. First of all, are there any trustworthy VMS companies that you have heard of or perhaps worked with.? And is it possible to analyze a particular person by his/her clothing and quickly find this person within just a few seconds? Also, what is the usual price for a single channel? Last but not least, do you have any advice regarding working at a retail company or being a part of the security department? Thank you all in advance!
Since your post says "will be" I assume you haven't started. I would recommend you watch and listen for the first 2-3 MONTHS. Find out what they are already doing. Then find out if there is a POC to coordinate a pilot program with. As "the new guy" it is better to become a team member first, before trying to disrupt the status quo. Unless you are specifically hired to make changes.

Reactions: Corwin65
Jul 19, 2021
Since your post says "will be" I assume you haven't started. I would recommend you watch and listen for the first 2-3 MONTHS. Find out what they are already doing. Then find out if there is a POC to coordinate a pilot program with. As "the new guy" it is better to become a team member first, before trying to disrupt the status quo. Unless you are specifically hired to make changes.

Though my manager did emphasize that we should be as proactive as possible, I do think that you're right about just watching for the first few months to understand everything first before jumping right in. Thank you for your advice!

Jun 29, 2021
Honestly I don't know much about working at a security department and trustworthy VMS companies but seeing that you're going to be working at a retail company and hope to "analyze a particular person by his/her clothing" reminded me of an article I saw on medium yesterday. It's not really about security systems but I feel like some functions might also work on security systems? Anyways it pretty interesting and sorry in advance if it doesn't help much haha, here's the link: https://skyrecofficial.medium.com/i...-the-store-with-3-new-strategies-241fcd0b5938

MMorris666

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
its all about money. paying for the software and paying for updates and support is a cost some security companies won't be willing to pay. also facial recognition would be the best option.