Question Retail Traitor

Jedimaster520

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
As a person who has built their last three desktop computers this is going to sound very sad, but it has come time to replace both mine and my wife's desktop gaming rig. The thing is, i have two children that are now at a prime age to be on the computer all the time and children and accidents go hand in hand. Though it pains me, I am looking at eating the extra cost and getting a pre-built rig from Best buy or another retailer so I can get full coverage on it in case the worst happens. That being the case, are there any particular rigs that you could recommend for a good bang-for-your-buck under this umbrella. I play WoW, Overwatch, kids play Roblox a lot, and I am for sure picking up Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. Would like to be able to run everything on high graphics. Thanks for the input.

You're right. Childrens are not easy on stuff like this but buying a pre-built won't change anything. If your childrens let's say make the case fall over or they hit the case in an accident this won't be covered in the warranty. So you're paying extra for a pre-built and the accidents can still happen.

I guess telling them to be careful and making them understand the meaning is the only thing you can do or you put that case inside a cabinet or something.

Unless being offered a specific insurance I don’t see how buying prebuilt helps. Under both scenarios you should be covered under a good home contents insurance if absolutely needed.

isn't home contents insurance for fire, theft etc? Children breaking stuff is not covered. That would be like calling your insurance because you took a sledgehammer to your TV and you want to get reimbursed.

Jedimaster520

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
You're right. Childrens are not easy on stuff like this but buying a pre-built won't change anything. If your childrens let's say make the case fall over or they hit the case in an accident this won't be covered in the warranty. So you're paying extra for a pre-built and the accidents can still happen.

I guess telling them to be careful and making them understand the meaning is the only thing you can do or you put that case inside a cabinet or something.

You obviously haven't done retail in a while. Almost all electronics allow you to by accidental coverage. At that point you can pretty much dump a cup of coffee into it and they will replace it.

Jedimaster520

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
As a person who has built their last three desktop computers this is going to sound very sad, but it has come time to replace both mine and my wife's desktop gaming rig. The thing is, i have two children that are now at a prime age to be on the computer all the time and children and accidents go hand in hand. Though it pains me, I am looking at eating the extra cost and getting a pre-built rig from Best buy or another retailer so I can get full coverage on it in case the worst happens. That being the case, are there any particular rigs that you could recommend for a good bang-for-your-buck under this umbrella. I play WoW, Overwatch, kids play Roblox a lot, and I am for sure picking up Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. Would like to be able to run everything on high graphics. Thanks for the input.

EDIT!! Some of you have obviously been out of the retail circle for a while. Most major retailers offer accidental coverage on electronics. With that you can dump coffee in it, drop kick it or pretty much run over it with your car and it will be fixed or replaced. I am not looking for input on my decision making.

You do what you think is best, you’ll pay more for cheaper parts and then more for a warranty you may not even need. Anything sold at Best Buy will perform fine based on the specs. If you can spill a drink INTO a desktop PC I credit your cleverness.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Multiple off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. Stick to the salient optic, please.

I would advise members not to attack those who offer assistance. Attack positions with facts and sources, not other members, personally.

Civility and respect towards others are must haves. Thank you.

Jedimaster520

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Right now looking to replace my desktop rig. Weighing out the pros and cons of building myself vs. buying pre-built from retailer. Having kids and the accidental coverage through a retailer is my dilema. After some research, I found that for equal hardware, I would save only around $50 building myself vs buying a machine from Alienware (that is including 3 yrs full accidental coverage). I am ex-miliatry so they reduce price for me. I really cannot see the reasoning in building myself if it really wont save me any money, and if anything happens to it I am completely out of pocket. Any constructive thoughts welcome. Probably going to buy from the retailer at this point.

popatim

Titan
Go buy it.
I've run into the same situation myself in the past where i would not build it at the sale price.

I actually don't believe you save money anyways, I just like to make sure I get the things I look for in a pc. Like for myself I want 6 sata ports minimum or a PSU I can replace with a much better one, and those are hard to get in a prebuilt.

With kids around, get that accidental coverage. you NEED it!!

Right now looking to replace my desktop rig. Weighing out the pros and cons of building myself vs. buying pre-built from retailer. Having kids and the accidental coverage through a retailer is my dilema. After some research, I found that for equal hardware, I would save only around $50 building myself vs buying a machine from Alienware (that is including 3 yrs full accidental coverage). I am ex-miliatry so they reduce price for me. I really cannot see the reasoning in building myself if it really wont save me any money, and if anything happens to it I am completely out of pocket. Any constructive thoughts welcome. Probably going to buy from the retailer at this point.
Sounds like a good deal. Alienware/Dell is solid and you’ll be just fine going with that.