News Retailer Listings Expose Intel Z490 Motherboards With Inflated Prices

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
We need basic overclocking with B or H series boards. Intel is behind without overclocking, but Z390's successor is too expensive. Gigabyte has some cheaper ones though compared to MSI.
And what. other than benchmarks, does all those "extra" cores that AMD piles on used for? Intel owns the IPC crown - every few months before a new next super AMD release they crow about the IPC gains - but when the product get to testing, it doesn't perform. - No increased IPC and barely reaching promised clocks. All AMD has been putting out are small incremental changes, usually using extra cache - since that is needed for their homebrew knockoff.

Enjoy the time in the sun - Comet Lake is the LAST Skylake based desktop - Later this year there will be Rocket Lake with the Golden Cove +30% IPC and the likely similar Willow Cove IPC gains... and we will really start to see the PCIe4 cards flourish - since there will more than just a niche novelty entry with PCIe4.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
And what. other than benchmarks, does all those "extra" cores that AMD piles on used for? Intel owns the IPC crown - every few months before a new next super AMD release they crow about the IPC gains - but when the product get to testing, it doesn't perform. - No increased IPC and barely reaching promised clocks. All AMD has been putting out are small incremental changes, usually using extra cache - since that is needed for their homebrew knockoff.

Enjoy the time in the sun - Comet Lake is the LAST Skylake based desktop - Later this year there will be Rocket Lake with the Golden Cove +30% IPC and the likely similar Willow Cove IPC gains... and we will really start to see the PCIe4 cards flourish - since there will more than just a niche novelty entry with PCIe4.

I don't want extra cores, you aren't reading what I wrote, I want clock speed. The point is if you buy a 9600k and stick it in a B or H motherboard, it performs BADLY vs the Ryzen 3600X because you can't get the free and easy 4.9ghz OC you get with a Z motherboard. It's 3.7 Ghz base clock is pretty bad vs. an easy 4.3ghz Ryzen all core clock. The expensive Z motherboards and the locked chips is the main reason Intel is falling behind, not the CPUs themselves which are great by themselves, the whole package is bad.

Imagine if you could run the i3-9100f at 4.8ghz on an H310 motherboard? Domination. Instead you lose 20 percent performance for no reason.

hannibal

Distinguished
These Are european prices, so They differ a lot from USA prices.
New iPhone se $399 in USA 480€ r more in europe...
But who knows. Maybe Intel have to increase mother board prices to compensate ”low” cpu prices?
All in all I Expect this to be just europe vs USA prising difference. Or riple of AMDx570 prices toward Intel platforms...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Unlike US stores , all European stores add VAT to the online Price showed.. and in Ukraine it is 20%

you need to subtract 20% ..

Dont worry the prices are okay ,you just dont know the difference between Europe sites and US sites ...

US sites add Taxes LATER , European sites show the prices with Taxes included.

ozboater

Commendable
Jan 23, 2019
And what. other than benchmarks, does all those "extra" cores that AMD piles on used for?

Hi Deicidium, you've obvious;y not done any modern flight simming lately, have you.

In particular, Prepar3D by Lockheed Martin (and the most used Flight Sim out there) uses ALL your cores if you are on AMD. The Intel guys can't seem to leverage their cores, and Intel is synonymous with stuttering performance in P3D. Thousands of threads about this on flight sim forums. Check out 'Intel Stutter'. It is the elephant in the simming room.

Have a look at my 'old' R1700 in full 4K at pretty much MAX sim settings -

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/LuU1ruC

I just upgraded to a 3900X and the new P3Dv5. I've managed to get all 24 threads to 100% looking down through the clouds over a maxed Southhamton UK while barelrolling a 114 Commander in high-res photoreal scenery. There will be new pics soon showing all this beef flexing it's 24 thread muscles.

Nothing flexes the muscles of my Ryzens like P3D, which incidentally is my main reason for owning a powerful PC.

I guess ya don't know what ya don't know.

ozboater

Commendable
Jan 23, 2019
Forgot to add that I did a BIOS update and just dropped this 24 thread beauty straight into my 2 1/2 year old AM4 X370 motherboard.
No other changes
No extra cooler
No further expense
Try that with Intel.

Reactions: martinch

z0d

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
@regs01
Makes sense that they would jack up their prices because the upcoming intel desktop CPUs will be on par with # of cores and threads with current AMD Ryzen 2, but without the PCIe 4.0 support

And what. other than benchmarks, does all those "extra" cores that AMD piles on used for?
Any compute-intensive, naturally parallel task, really - off the top of my head: compiling code, running (multiple) virtual machines, and photo-editing* (software engineer who does photography). Basically, "workstation stuff" (although file compression and video encoding are also highly-parallel), and Linux seems to handle many cores more efficiently than Windows (as a general rule, the average home user doesn't need anything more powerful than a Core i3) ...

* Lightroom didn't appear to be fully multi-threaded when I used it, but RawTherapee is, and I find it gives better results.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozboater

regs01

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
Makes sense that they would jack up their prices because the upcoming intel desktop CPUs will be on par with # of cores and threads with current AMD Ryzen 2, but without the PCIe 4.0 support
X470 and B450 didn't have even PCIe 3. Did anyone notice? Aside of high sequential reads from SSD there is no applicable conditions for PCIe 4. But then there are very few people needs it on mainstream market.

tom111111

Reputable
Dec 30, 2019
@regs01

No, Intel will have fewer cores. AMD has 16 cores and 32 threads, Intel Comet Lake will have 10/20 and Rocket Lake probably will have only 8 cores, but PCIe4.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
And what. other than benchmarks, does all those "extra" cores that AMD piles on used for? Intel owns the IPC crown - ...

Probably should read reviews from June 2019 onwards - Zen 2 has better IPC than Intel. Intel has the frequency advantage. AMD has more threads for same price.

It depends on the workflow whether a CPU is "good enough" (6c/6t already introduces stuttering in a few games, so isn't enough), and after that, which of IPC/frequency/cores you get a benefit out of.

Note that if you're GPU-bound (as most gamers outside competetive types are wont to do - they run 2080Ti at 1080p low settings), CPU matters a lot less for performance as long as it's "enough" (see above).

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Unlike US stores , all European stores add VAT to the online Price showed.. and in Ukraine it is 20%

you need to subtract 20% ..

While you add 20% when applying a 20% VAT, to remove the tax from the total price you need to deduct about 16.7%:

VAT amount = 0.20 × tax-free price

total price = 1.20 × tax-free price

tax-free price = total price / 1.20 ≈ 0.833 × total price

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
these prices are with 20% VAT taxes included. Sadly tomshardware are making huge mistakes lately with new guys posting ...

That's why the article included the comparison to Z390 - since they are both inflated by the same 20% VAT, they still demonstrate the relative price differences.

Granted the audience would have been better served by deducting the VATs, of course, but not doing so hasn't made this article categorically wrong.

VAT rates differ by country. The standard rate (applied to most things outside food/medical/non-digital culture) is between 17 - 27% in the EU. That together with the wildly varying buying powers in different countries result in very different prices.

That means there is really no benefit from knowing the "actual" exact price, unless you happen to shop in Ukraine. Even then you'd want the price in UAH anyways, and with the VAT included; as a consumer you're both used to and entitled to be advertized with the price you actually have to pay.

Last edited: