News Retailer Shares Failure Rates for GPUs, Motherboards, SSDs, More

I like the report.
Of course it is a small sample.
It shows, in general, that one should not expect perfection in buying new parts.

If a part fails during the build process, that is not so bad.
Failure after the part is put into use is another thing.
Puget systems keeps track of such and had a report for 2021:

Reactions: bit_user

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I always thought 5% failure rate was the norm for Hardware.
If all the numbers sold were equal then that would be a better assessment. But 5% is high still.

Awesomeblackdude

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
First let's get this out of the way why is it so difficult for users who use mobile to reply in this forum? Now onto Corsair I purchased a new PSU just before days of the covid-19 crisis and the country had shut down.

About 4 - 6 months ago I was able to have a successful Corsair PSU installment. I power down my computer and finally added my GPU and the power supply died I contact Corsair and requested a RMA I sent proof of product but my order history on Newegg is not nowhere to be found.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Can vouch for Samsung SSD, Gigabyte Motherboard, and Corsair PSU.
My TeamGroup TForce memory are also good, my only complain that the timing is too rigid (CL40), can not alter at all, only speed that can be altered (succesfully hit 7000) with minor voltage increase.

First let's get this out of the way why is it so difficult for users who use mobile to reply in this forum? Now onto Corsair I purchased a new PSU just before days of the covid-19 crisis and the country had shut down.

About 4 - 6 months ago I was able to have a successful Corsair PSU installment. I power down my computer and finally added my GPU and the power supply died I contact Corsair and requested a RMA I sent proof of product but my order history on Newegg is not nowhere to be found.
You didn't get an email with the order details?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

That's weird... Newegg shows history searchable by year for about 10 years.

You can even find stuff past 10 years, but have to do a keyword search for anything that old to come up.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
The sample size and vendor coverage here is so small as to be completely useless. Why did you even bother publishing this? All the results here are easily within the margin of error, which is massive because the sample sizes are so small. I expect better quality data from you all.

Reactions: LolaGT

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
We don't know if that data is only for air cooling, liquid cooling, or both. We suspect the latter since CPU air coolers aren't very prone to failures. A fan may prematurely die from time to time, but it's not common to see a heatsink go bad.
I wonder if any of the returns be due to customers not installing the CPU coolers properly. Maybe too much or too little thermal compound?

I'm surprised to see so many Seasonic PSU failures. I have to wonder if they're lower-end models, due to Seasonic's reputation for quality.

Puget systems keeps track of such and had a report for 2021:
I think data from integrators like Puget Systems is a little more reliable, since they're dealing in complete systems and won't log something as failed unless they're confident it actually failed.

The sample size and vendor coverage here is so small as to be completely useless. Why did you even bother publishing this? All the results here are easily within the margin of error, which is massive because the sample sizes are so small. I expect better quality data from you all.
This was exactly my thought as well. The sample size is far too low to be meaningful. Single-digit counts of hardware failures could easily be affected by whether or not the seller encountered a bad batch of hardware, or if they sold to a particular customer who misused multiple pieces of hardware in some way. And we don't even know what models these cover. One brand might be mostly represented by a handful of low-end models, while another may consist of high-end ones. Or one problematic model might be throwing off the numbers for a particular brand.

It's also worth noting that this is in the Philippines, a tropical region that experiences very high temperatures and humidity, along with an unreliable power grid, meaning the conditions much this hardware is subjected to might not be representative of typical operating conditions.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The sample size is far too low to be meaningful. Single-digit counts of hardware failures could easily be affected by whether or not the seller encountered a bad batch of hardware, or if they sold to a particular customer who misused multiple pieces of hardware in some way. And we don't even know what models these cover.
Some of this data is significant, I think. MSI Motherboards, for instance: 10 out of 470. But, you're spot-on that we have too little insight into the models, how well-vetted the returns were, and whether there was any element of mishandling by the customer. So, I can't take a whole lot from this, other than maybe the brands with extremely low return rates, like Samsung SSDs.

It's also worth noting that this is in the Philippines, a tropical region that experiences very high temperatures and humidity, along with an unreliable power grid, meaning the conditions much this hardware is subjected to might not be representative of typical operating conditions.
Indeed. That crossed my mind, as well.

I think high-end PC users with bad power tend to use power banks, or at least a UPS. But, that probably won't include most of their users.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
The data sampling is too small to glean any meaningful info about who is to be avoided at all costs (no pun intended).

Because, after reading the article, it seems one should buy GPUs from MSI (not Gigabyte), Motherboards from Gigabyte (not MSI), PSUs from Corsair, Cooling from DeepCool, RAM from Gskill and SSDs from Samsung.

Which in the scheme of tings, seems to be about right in my case!!

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I can't believe that Deepcool could make great PSUs. I also don't believe in Corsair cause the PSU VS one i had was terrible.

How is Seasonic like having failures that high? They are pretty reliable aren't they?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Not surprised about Gigabyte. I bought something from them about 12+ years ago that needed RMA. Horrible, horrible tech support and customer service. Last year I bought an Aorus RTX 3090 Master because it was the only one in stock when they were hard to find. It crapped out after a couple of months, and Gigabyte basically wouldn't honour the warranty. They gave me an RMA and all, but gave me such a hassle with the shipping - refusing to talk to customs agents when they were called, shipping agents, etc. and when the customs agents got mad at them, Gigabyte wouldn't take my calls any more to follow up with the RMA. They still won't take my calls, or honour the warranty.
Never, NEVER again.
Not surprised about Cooler Master, either. Honestly, I thought it would be higher. Lot of problems with them in the past, too, including a case actually catching on fire. The HD-Audio jack. They tried to tell me I must have plugged in into the wrong spot on the motherboard. Like it wasn't easy enough to stick the HD-Audio jack where the HD-Audio label was on the motherboard, or that it would actually fit anywhere else.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
including a case actually catching on fire. The HD-Audio jack. They tried to tell me I must have plugged in into the wrong spot on the motherboard. Like it wasn't easy enough to stick the HD-Audio jack where the HD-Audio label was on the motherboard, or that it would actually fit anywhere else.
Not saying this was your problem, but IMO it's too easy to get the polarity wrong, on some of those connections.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Not saying this was your problem, but IMO it's too easy to get the polarity wrong, on some of those connections.
not sure what you mean. It is a single piece jack that can only fit on the pins in one way, and most times has a plastic outline to the pins, making it more like a plug socket. It's been a long time since it happened and build dozens of computers since then, but I know on most of the ones I've been building for a while, they are more like a socket. If it only fits one way, I don't see the polarity getting mixed up.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
not sure what you mean. It is a single piece jack that can only fit on the pins in one way, and most times has a plastic outline to the pins, making it more like a plug socket. It's been a long time since it happened and build dozens of computers since then, but I know on most of the ones I've been building for a while, they are more like a socket. If it only fits one way, I don't see the polarity getting mixed up.
I'm thinking of the header block that has stuff like the power LED and reset switch. TBH, I've wired them backwards, a couple times. There was one time where the board failed ever to work and I realized I'd plugged something in backwards - not sure if I fried it or maybe it refused to work for other reasons.